Is this a bad idea?

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Pearl Roadshow that I got getting back into drumming, it's my second kit now and I still want to keep it set up, just to noodle around on. I replaced the mounting hardware, on the toms and bass, Gibraltar hardware instead of that crap low-end stuff they put on low-end kits and Gibraltar arms. New Remo coated heads, top and bottom and you know, I got it sounding really good. I wouldn't be ashamed to play it on stage at all.

Anyway, I don't have spare stands and wanted to mount some extra cymbals I had because why not? I like to noodle around on it here and there. I had extra arm mounts and the one on the right side is the old tom arm with an extender mount I had. It looks kind of Sanford and Son I know but it worked.

I'm just wondering if that extra weight is too much for the bass mount, like I could damage the shell with two cymbals mounted on the tom arms.

IMG_20200927_144136.jpg

1601248959617.jpeg

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
No its fine.
The shell is of substantial enough heft to support the weight...also, the front head has been retained and that goes a long way to helping keep the shell in round.
People have been doing this for years.
You're doing just fine. Nothing "ghetto" about your setup.
In fact, I like how you used the dog bone to attach a 3rd arm to mount the cymbal on. Very flexible setup and why I've always referred to the drums as The Erector set of the music industry.
You can build them into anything.

Elvis

Last edited:

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm laughing because this is the kind of thing I'd be tempted to do too.

In this case, I would have resisted for a couple reasons. One is that I strangely think of the aesthetics of the setup, and the Sanford and Son look is frankly prominent. The other is that I'm a weight-conscious cheapskate and figure that a couple flimsy straight cymbal stands would work as well for less money and with less weight.

But I doubt there's any structural problem with your innovation. Better, your bass drum ain't going to move away from you while playing. Putting weight on the bass drum is helpful from this standpoint.

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm laughing because this is the kind of thing I'd be tempted to do too.

In this case, I would have resisted for a couple reasons. One is that I strangely think of the aesthetics of the setup, and the Sanford and Son look is frankly prominent. The other is that I'm a weight-conscious cheapskate and figure that a couple flimsy straight cymbal stands would work as well for less money and with less weight.

But I doubt there's any structural problem with your innovation. Better, your bass drum ain't going to move away from you while playing. Putting weight on the bass drum is helpful from this standpoint.
ok thanks, I just was wondering.

At some point I'll pick up a couple of stands for it but for now eh.. keeps it running for the time being.

I'm an opportunist.

And thanks @Elvis too, I didn't want to do something stupid and I wasn't sure.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
IMO it all depends on how hard you hit those crashes - I would think that for some players, given enough time they would crack he BD shell at the tom mount. How hard that would be and how long it would take I would have no way of figuring out. In other words, you'll probably be fine - but absolutely, for sure....?????

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
IMO it all depends on how hard you hit those crashes - I would think that for some players, given enough time they would crack he BD shell at the tom mount. How hard that would be and how long it would take I would have no way of figuring out. In other words, you'll probably be fine - but absolutely, for sure....?????
So, no sputnik antenas on the Blaemire I guess? ;-)

Joking aside, Squirrel: if, as David suggested, there is a possible issue with cracking over time, it is a good incentive to learn to play quieter. I used to love bashing like the kit owed me money, but lately, with new neighbors, I kinda forced myself to adjust my playing. That was reinforced by Carter Mclean's online course. He constantly emphasizes the point of learning to play cleanly at low volume. And he's one of the best sounding guys out there. Plus, it is great to be able to play for an hour or 2 and not have a tinnitus ringing in your ears for hours afterwards. These unorthodox cymbal stands could be a blessing in disguise. ;-)

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, no sputnik antenas on the Blaemire I guess? ;-)

Joking aside, Squirrel: if, as David suggested, there is a possible issue with cracking over time, it is a good incentive to learn to play quieter. I used to love bashing like the kit owed me money, but lately, with new neighbors, I kinda forced myself to adjust my playing. That was reinforced by Carter Mclean's online course. He constantly emphasizes the point of learning to play cleanly at low volume. And he's one of the best sounding guys out there. Plus, it is great to be able to play for an hour or 2 and not have a tinnitus ringing in your ears for hours afterwards. These unorthodox cymbal stands could be a blessing in disguise. ;-)
I can kind of whack them because it's my nature. And I do focus on playing lighter a lot, among other things. I'll get stands at some point so ok for now. I don't play this kit often. Fun to play though.

Thanks!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're doing it just for fun, you can get stands fairly inexpensively.
What you're looking for are l-o-n-g legs on the stand.
This allows the legs to stabilize the stand over a greater area of the stand.
Doesn't have to be super stout or have a lot of bells or whistles. It just has to hold a cymbal.
Look at lower lines offered by anyone, or be super-duper cheap like me, and go back to the generic stuff, like what I was using 30-40 years ago.

Elvis

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're doing it just for fun, you can get stands fairly inexpensively.
What you're looking for are l-o-n-g legs on the stand.
This allows the legs to stabilize the stand over a greater area of the stand.
Doesn't have to be super stout or have a lot of bells or whistles. It just has to hold a cymbal.
Look at lower lines offered by anyone, or be super-duper cheap like me, and go back to the generic stuff, like what I was using 30-40 years ago.

Elvis
I'll get some, I acquire thing along the way.

This is going to be my rehearsal or gig kit I'll get something functional.

Still like playing it, it sounds decent.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with that.
I played on Generic equipment for probably 10 years, or better.
Gigged and recorded with it.
Never had a problem, except for one lug that backed off in the studio once....lug locks fix that pretty quick.

Elvis

Last edited:

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Were you expecting a Redd Foxx meme saying “You big dummy”?

Nothing wrong with what you have going on, but I concur with others that some stands would be better.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you get stands in the future you don't need big heavy duty stands for a cymbal. The new light weights some companies are making now will work. UNLESS you plan to mount heavy toms on them.

Enjoy,
sherm

Deafmoon

Reaction score
No, that’s a totally cool idea. You can even play small club dates with it and travel a bit lighter.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Roadshow I bought "new-opened-box." It had never been taken out of the box or assembled. I sold all the stands and use some light-weight stuff I already had. I sold the toms as well, and ended up coming out ahead on the whole deal. I used the kick and snare for a weekly jam I was part of -- pre COVID. With decent heads, they sound fine.

As for the weight on the BD, 18" shells are very strong. I wouldn't worry at all.

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Roadshow I bought "new-opened-box." It had never been taken out of the box or assembled. I sold all the stands and use some light-weight stuff I already had. I sold the toms as well, and ended up coming out ahead on the whole deal. I used the kick and snare for a weekly jam I was part of -- pre COVID. With decent heads, they sound fine.

As for the weight on the BD, 18" shells are very strong. I wouldn't worry at all.
It's a 22 bass but ok, thanks.

And yeah, shells are fine, hardware was all kids toys. The straight cymbal stand is passable (vice locks), throne and pedal low -end decent but mounting hardware and snare stand were junk.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
I know you’re questions been answered but I have to say:

I think that’s ingenious! I’ve never, in all the time I’ve been a drum nerd, seen someone fly cymbals off the bass drum mounted tom arms quite like that. It makes so much sense! I don’t think it looks MacGyver at all, it totally works. Yeah sure, there’s probably a couple ways you could make it more symmetrical or something, but those OCD details only get noticed by you. (Besides it looks like the cymbals are actually in a really good position, so maybe symmetrical would be a compromise) The general impression is less “I’m coming, Elizabeth!” and more “oh wow, I see what he did there, that’s a cool setup”

Nice color on those drums too, looks sharkskinnish.

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you’re questions been answered but I have to say:

I think that’s ingenious! I’ve never, in all the time I’ve been a drum nerd, seen someone fly cymbals off the bass drum mounted tom arms quite like that. It makes so much sense! I don’t think it looks MacGyver at all, it totally works. Yeah sure, there’s probably a couple ways you could make it more symmetrical or something, but those OCD details only get noticed by you. (Besides it looks like the cymbals are actually in a really good position, so maybe symmetrical would be a compromise) The general impression is less “I’m coming, Elizabeth!” and more “oh wow, I see what he did there, that’s a cool setup”

Nice color on those drums too, looks sharkskinnish.
Thanks!

I had some extra arms and odds and ends, I can make things work sometimes but my junk is ugly sometimes like my sig says but I'm resourceful.

It'll tide me over until I dig up some cheap or used stands somewhere. I can get things and I'm patient.