Is this a MusicYo Slingerland?

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So I will toss my limited knowledge into the ring and remind you that my advice is exactly worth what you pay for it! I did a lot of digging into both the HSS and Gibson Music Yo era of Slingerland snares when I did my Nashville Tribute snare and I learned a few things to look for.

Both companies used the same badge (HSS was early 90's while the Music Yo models were 10 years later in the early 2000's) so the serial number can help move the needle on that for sure. I agree with Peterk, I do not recall the later Gibson owned Music Yo drums having mufflers on the natural finished snares. Do you have the drum it's self? The shell can help narrow it down as well in the ply lay up and how the snare beds were cut. But without more, clear pics, I am standing on this being an earlier 90's HSS model.

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
So I will toss my limited knowledge into the ring and remind you that my advice is exactly worth what you pay for it! I did a lot of digging into both the HSS and Gibson Music Yo era of Slingerland snares when I did my Nashville Tribute snare and I learned a few things to look for.

Both companies used the same badge (HSS was early 90's while the Music Yo models were 10 years later in the early 2000's) so the serial number can help move the needle on that for sure. I agree with Peterk, I do not recall the later Gibson owned Music Yo drums having mufflers on the natural finished snares. Do you have the drum it's self? The shell can help narrow it down as well in the ply lay up and how the snare beds were cut. But without more, clear pics, I am standing on this being an earlier 90's HSS model.

Thanks. I just assumed MusicYo, I forgot about the 80's imports. Any idea of the value? Maybe $100-$125 ish??????

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think your value is on target but they seem to sell for more. I remember some comments about the beds being very shallow but I could be wrong....and that's an easy fix.

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think your value is on target but they seem to sell for more. I remember some comments about the beds being very shallow but I could be wrong....and that's an easy fix.
I have a guy coming up that wants to trade some snares for an 30"WFL bass drum and this is one of the snares. I was asking $200 for the drum and I think he's bringing this and a Black Acro.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yep, the HSS era seem to be pretty consistent about the $150 mark best I can tell.

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ok. I did the trade.......However, I ended up get a B/O Acro and a 56-59 Slingerland Hollywood Ace. The Slingerland had been painted black and has a replacement butt plate. I post some pics in a new thread.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a slingerleedy of the same vintage and it is a great sounding snare. Sounds like you got a good deal.

Latest posts