Is this Black Nickel Plating or Black Lacquer Spray

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is my 1939-40 Slingerland snare.
Some guy wants to buy it and wants me to "verify" if it is BNP or BLS.
I cannot tell but it appears to be BNP. If it were BLS I would think it would have some chips and cracks for a snare this old

Please take a look

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The best way to find out would be to remove a lug and swab acetone on a spot covered by a lug. If no removal, nickel; if a silver spot, lacquer. With its age, I would think nickel.

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The best way to find out would be to remove a lug and swab acetone on a spot covered by a lug. If no removal, nickel; if a silver spot, lacquer. With its age, I would think nickel.
I took a cotton swab with acetone and removed the top head. The Qtip turned black and the drum got a bit "mushy.. I attached a copy of what the the shell looks like under the head. You can see the brass clearly
IMG_8349.jpg
IMG_8349.jpg

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes. However, I'm pretty sure black nickel plated drums were black inside as well as outside. Lacquer were just outside.
Look at the picture I just posted. The inside of the shell is brass.. no doubt. I have a feeling the outside is lacquer because the Qtip came out black

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Look at the picture I just posted. The inside of the shell is brass.. no doubt. I have a feeling the outside is lacquer because the Qtip came out black
“Black chrome” and “black nickel” are, in many cases, a translucent black paint over a shiny, plated base.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
With just a cursory look, I'd say it was spray. If it was black nickel plated the interior of the shell would also have some color to it. When plated the shell is dipped in a 'bath' and the interior gets the same treatment (but without the polish/finishing). If it's sprayed, then the interior of the shell will look like the natural material as there is no reason to apply/spray the interior (and it would likely turn out uneven due to the complex curves of the bead and flange areas). Here's what looks like a more modern BB interior for reference.

BB_Interior.JPG

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
With just a cursory look, I'd say it was spray. If it was black nickel plated the interior of the shell would also have some color to it. When plated the shell is dipped in a 'bath' and the interior gets the same treatment (but without the polish/finishing). If it's sprayed, then the interior of the shell will look like the natural material as there is no reason to apply/spray the interior (and it would likely turn out uneven due to the complex curves of the bead and flange areas). Here's what looks like a more modern BB interior for reference.

View attachment 472600
I am actually shocked that “black chrome” and “black nickel” with paint was done back then. I ordered a chrome bicycle fork that I want either “smokey chrome” (black candy) or “jet fuel/oil slick” (rainbow candy paint) sprayed on provided the chrome is clean. I am kinda weak in the knees for both finishes.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Definitely paint. Black Nickle plating isn't actually black. It is somewhat translucent and leans somewhat towards a very dark blue.

When you plate a drum, you plate the entire drum inside and out so a black nickel drum will be black on the inside. A painted drum can be painted on the outside only or inside and out. Leedy usually painted inside and out but Slingerland painted the outside only.