Is This Cable-Tuned Snare "the Biggest Innovation to Drumming in Over 50 Years?"

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
By this point Vistalite Black can predict a hostile DFO reaction to this new product, as with anything that's new and innovative. However, I wonder how the rest of the drumming world will receive these new patented cable-tuned drums currently being sold at Guitar Center (starting at $999.00).

I'll paste in part of the press release, but the video really tells the story. Looking forward to your cynical it's-all-done-before takes:

US Drum Manufacturer Set to Disrupt Drum Industry

SEATTLE, June 7, 2021 /PRNewswire-PRWeb/ -- Dialtune, a drum manufacturer selling patented cable-tuned drums, announces availability of snares for sale through Guitar Center! This makes dialtune the first cable tuned drum sold by the American music retailer chain, and marks an important milestone validating that cable tuning is ready for mass market adoption.
Drum builders today create an endless array of similar options on the market, the lack of differentiated innovation makes it difficult for any new brand to cut through the noise. But Dialtune looks to disrupt the drumming industry by creating an entirely new market around cable tuning, an improved alternative to traditional lugs and tension rods, marking the biggest innovation to drumming in over 50 years. Cable tuning is unique in that it uses a single point of tension to evenly tune a drum up and down in seconds. Using this technology, drummers can more easily find the exact sound they're looking for, change drumheads in under a minute, and explore new creative possibilities previously thought impossible.
"We are humbled to be included in the Guitar Center product lineup alongside legendary brands like Mapex, Sonor, Tama, DW, Gretch, and Yamaha. This is a testimony to the versatility of our technology as well as the overall quality and sound of our dialtune snare drums."

sixplymaple

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sometimes hear from people that dislike DW drums just because of the big round lugs. They think they’re oversized and ugly. If DW lugs are too bulky/ugly, then what would they think of these drums? I can’t imagine a bass drum with all that extra hardware lol.

It is a cool concept though! I just hate the look, size, and price lol.

drums1225

Reaction score
A friend of mine has one of these. He invited me over to check it out, but I haven't made it there yet. I like the concept. Might be great for cover band gigs, where you play a wide variety of tunes requiring different snare sounds, though changing the tuning might cause EQ issues in the front-of-house mix.

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
A friend of mine has one of these. He invited me over to check it out, but I haven't made it there yet. I like the concept. Might be great for cover band gigs, where you play a wide variety of tunes requiring different snare sounds, though changing the tuning might cause EQ issues in the front-of-house mix.
I could see it being handy in that particular circumstance. Whenever I've seen this snare I just keep thinking, "and what if I don't want even tension on all the lugs?". The convenience comes at the expense of versatility. My resonant snare heads are never evenly tensioned, and are all the better for it in terms of their relation to the wires. I never knew the price before, but I can think of a few snares I'd definitely buy before dropping that kind of dough on this one. Just my two cents, fwiw.

Last edited:

sixplymaple

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why can’t they just sell the whole system as a retrofit kit for any 14” snare? Maybe different kits for different lug hole patterns?

IMO requiring a customer to buy an entire snare drum shell along with the tuning system is a huge mistake. Most drummers don’t want to spend $1000 on a snare drum, especially a $1000 snare drum built by an unproven brand with their own boutique hardware. Cut the price by 50% - 65% and sell the tuning system by itself.

Philaiy9

Reaction score
I could see it being handy in that particular circumstance. Whenever I've seen this snare I just keep thinking, "and what if I don't want even tension on all the lugs?". The convenience comes at the expense of versatility. My resonant snare heads are never evenly tensioned, and are all the better for it in terms of their relation to the wires. I never knew the price before, but I can think of a few snares I'd definitely buy before dropping that kind of dough on this one. Just my two cents, fwiw.
Great point, especially regarding the snare side. Even when you're going for even pitch there'll never be even tension with snare beds. The lugs around the wires always seem to need some extra tweaking to prevent excess buzz or noises.

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh...

I've become a harsh cynic with "technology and innovation". Used to be that technology and innovation worked for the sake of working better. Now it doesn't have to work, it has to sell - that's what technology and innovation mean at this point.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
"in the overall scheme of things drums in music- are not so much a sound as they are "an event"... If the event is correctly timed or pleasingly placed the actual sound is least important"

--------Helmut Von Braun speaking at the Dusseldorf Symposium 1926

Last edited:

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you played in a really successful cover band, that played all eras and styles of music excellently, and played to packed houses, and NEVER changed the sound of your snare drum for any song, nobody would know the difference, or care.

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
These systems work just fine...
just as long you have perfectly made flat, fresh heads with really well made rims, and the head is installed exactly flat and center, so that the rim is at the same distance all the way around the shell.
Also the head can't have any stretching, because usually they don't stretch symmetrically, but rather following our unsymmetrical strike patterns.

So...how often all those term are met in our every day drumming? Lol.

Oh yeah, the rims and the bearing edges will need to be perfectly flat too.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. More hardware than shell. 2. The batter and reso heads are tensioned exactly the same, regardless. No, it turns out there are two dials, so more hardware. 3. What happens when a cable breaks or wears out? How hard is that to replace during a set? Count me out.