Is This Cable-Tuned Snare "the Biggest Innovation to Drumming in Over 50 Years?"

richiegarcia4

Reaction score
I'm not really interested in perfectly-tuned drums. I just want them to sound good. Especially with snares, you can get a great sound while technically not being "tuned correctly".

richiegarcia4

Reaction score
Now, I feel like one of those jerks that criticizes and adds nothing to the conversation. I'm sure some will find this invention useful. I credit them for striving to innovate.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arbiter lugless, hoop tensioner drum was thinking outside the box . I had one and it did exactly what the manufacturer said it would . A great snare .

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
First 3 tunings sounded the same. #4 was "better"......

I think mylar heads are probably the best thing........

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine has one of these. He invited me over to check it out, but I haven't made it there yet. I like the concept. Might be great for cover band gigs, where you play a wide variety of tunes requiring different snare sounds, though changing the tuning might cause EQ issues in the front-of-house mix.
0.5% of the patrons in a venue would notice snare tunings of a cover band.

poco rit.

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My question is, Who did they beguile to give them money to finance these “innovative” projects? These Dialtune and those Welch cable drums will fail. How do investors not see that??

itsjjp

Reaction score
Extraordinarily overpriced, hideous looking gadgetry that will surely fail even for say 1/3 of the price. Why don't companies do proper market research? Folks have referred to busy cover band drummers as the most likely candidates. I worked in one and agree with the viewpoint that nobody cares. I used to bring my 14x6 custom maple, 14x5 Slingerland CoB, and 14x6.5 Supraphonic to gigs, each with different tunings. Then I got wise and tuned up the Supraphonic to a nice, medium-high tuning and never looked back. For a little while, I kept a zero ring hanging on the lug of my floor tom, and threw it on that snare in seconds if I wanted a really controlled sound. Then I lost track of it one gig and nobody noticed, just like nobody noticed when I stopped using 3 snares. Not the audience or the band. So then who is this for? A studio perhaps? Not enough of those to make this pricey gimmick fly.

MustangMick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Page Drums from San Diego from 90s/early 2000s, so nothing new at all.

Cheers
Mick

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My question is, Who did they beguile to give them money to finance these “innovative” projects? These Dialtune and those Welch cable drums will fail. How do investors not see that??
You've worked out how many $1,000 snares they need to sell to make money? It's probably not that many.

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you played in a really successful cover band, that played all eras and styles of music excellently, and played to packed houses, and NEVER changed the sound of your snare drum for any song, nobody would know the difference, or care.
Not only would the audience never hear it...the band members won't here it either. However, that doesn't mean you won't and if it makes you feel better and sound better to yourself....then do it. It's been said here many times; totally changing your complete cymbal set-up to the tune of thousands of dollars may make you giddy with excitement and again....I've had band members never realize it, even after I told them. Reality can be depressing at times. ;)

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not only would the audience never hear it...the band members won't here it either. However, that doesn't mean you won't and if it makes you feel better and sound better to yourself....then do it. It's been said here many times; totally changing your complete cymbal set-up to the tune of thousands of dollars may make you giddy with excitement and again....I've had band members never realize it, even after I told them. Reality can be depressing at times. ;)
I guess it depends on the musicians you're playing with. The cover bands I've played in are top-level corporate/wedding bands, and they would ABSOLUTELY notice the difference. I get comments (and get gigs) specifically because of my ability to replicate sounds. The DialTune is on my list, and the first time they have a "Black Friday"-level sale, I'll be picking one up.

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on the musicians you're playing with. The cover bands I've played in are top-level corporate/wedding bands, and they would ABSOLUTELY notice the difference. I get comments (and get gigs) specifically because of my ability to replicate sounds. The DialTune is on my list, and the first time they have a "Black Friday"-level sale, I'll be picking one up.
Same. I came into this thread with a healthy amount of skepticism, but figured I'd do more vetting. Watched and read everything I could find on Dialtune. Yes, this concept isn't new, but their refinements, are. Being able to separately control the tuning of the top and bottom heads is very cool. Small company, Washington based, lots of passion, I like that. I liked every demo I heard, to me, it's just a great sounding snare (all models). When at its lowest tuning, it sounds very good, and way up in piccolo territory, as well. All the components look to be quality, built in Washington. Plus, it just looks fun. I love how fast you can change a head on it (amazing). They offer a Bell Brass model, in partnership with Savage Custom, which is awesome. I think a lot of you grumps on here should cut them some slack, be open to actually trying one out. Or, just stick with your Acro's and whine when the prices go up.

RE: Cover work. I agree. I mainly work with higher level cover groups as well, and that attention to recreating the proper sounds is not only appreciated and noticed, but expected. Comes with the gig. I've dragged three snares/electronics/triggers to accommodate. If you're just doing a jobber cover gig, I get it, overkill. Dialtune has stated that they're a niche product, so it won't be for everyone, but I think a more open attitude is a healthy thing (all around).

Now, one suggestion/potential criticism I have would be the ability to have settings memory locked in the dials. If you could have 4 or 5 favourite tunings you want saved, go between them quickly and smoothly, that would be epic. Mike Johnston mentioned that in a podcast, discussing the Dialtune. If they could make that work, I could see that being in the next gen version.

I look forward to trying one out.

Last edited:

Kevinpursuit

Reaction score
Im skeptical, cables stretch, an one would think the standard lug setup with threads you can get a more accurate and tighter tuning!

amosguy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im skeptical, cables stretch, an one would think the standard lug setup with threads you can get a more accurate and tighter tuning!
Head stretch as well. Humidity can affect tuning in some cases. Retune just like you would anyway. Hve seen these in West Coast Drum's shop. They will tune as tight as you want, no problem.

Skinsmannn

Reaction score
Tone flange, Leedy knob tension, firtchie, Peavey Radial pro, Dw concrete, denim wraps, fake leather, see thru drums,
Zalmer Twin, Fiberglass over wood, spun fiberglass, Arbitor....the list is endless
Now this.
Launched at Guitar Center??? I guess no one else will hardly sell them now.....
Hell, Sakae couldnt pull it off.

amosguy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tone flange, Leedy knob tension, firtchie, Peavey Radial pro, Dw concrete, denim wraps, fake leather, see thru drums,
Zalmer Twin, Fiberglass over wood, spun fiberglass, Arbitor....the list is endless
Now this.
Launched at Guitar Center??? I guess no one else will hardly sell them now.....
Hell, Sakae couldnt pull it off.
Available at West Coast Drum Shop in Bellevue, Washington.