Is This Cable-Tuned Snare "the Biggest Innovation to Drumming in Over 50 Years?"

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
DFO never lets me down.

hqdefault.jpg

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tone flange, Leedy knob tension, firtchie, Peavey Radial pro, Dw concrete, denim wraps, fake leather, see thru drums,
Zalmer Twin, Fiberglass over wood, spun fiberglass, Arbitor....the list is endless
Now this.

Not sure this is the slam-dunk argument you think it is. At least 4 of those are items that were rejected by the Luddites (Ludwig-ites?) of the time, and now are extremely desirable on the used market (or in some cases back in production), because, surprise surprise: they sound incredible. It's almost like the 100-year-old design of metal screw boxes on a wooden shell isn't the only way to make good sounding drums.

Launched at Guitar Center??? I guess no one else will hardly sell them now.....
Hell, Sakae couldnt pull it off.

Yeah, what a stupid business plan. Letting customers buy them direct over the internet, OR go to the country's largest music retailer so they can try them out / purchase in-person. What a bunch of business dumdums. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Kevinpursuit

Reaction score
Head stretch as well. Humidity can affect tuning in some cases. Retune just like you would anyway. Hve seen these in West Coast Drum's shop. They will tune as tight as you want, no problem.
Doubt they will tune as tight as the regular lug style.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
"in the overall scheme of things drums in music- are not so much a sound as they are "an event"... If the event is correctly timed or pleasingly placed the actual sound is least important"

--------Helmut Von Braun speaking at the Dusseldorf Symposium 1926
I just saw this thread , I have no opinion on this snare tuning device .

I really like this quote that JDA posted however .
I was watching a DVD and the drummer was doing fills with various cymbals mixed in .
And the thought occurred to me that it didn’t really matter what your sound was but rather that it be rhythmically correct ..

kallen49

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
just watched this SLAD video today, posted Jan. 07th, about the new Epiphany series drums,
I would have loved to change my entire tuning between songs when playing everything from swing music to Lady Gaga in a cover band. In small clubs I think it would be noticeable and effective.
just read this thread today,
I don't think the hardware is "hideous" I don't know why the system would "fail", (bike brake cables last for years outdoors), unless the cables are poor quality.
I have read in other threads that some dislike the host of SLAD but I have no problem with him, he seems honest and knowledgable. Their vids are very useful imho,

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I applaud anyone trying new ideas, or even revisiting old ideas if that is the case. These systems seem well made and functional but hold no appeal for me personally.

But, that is just me... either of these kits might be just the spark to ignite another player to deeper creativity. For me, I liked Sequimite's post, "A $700 solution to a $5 inconvenience"!

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This thing seems pretty neat. I don’t particularly want to own one, but I would like to mess with one for a couple hours. That being said biggest drum innovation of the past 50 years has to be electronic drums

Muns

Reaction score
why stop at the snare

this will age you 4X as fast
I like the minimalist look of those drums but as someone else pointed there could be lots of variables at play that would affect the system.

Last edited:

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
just watched this SLAD video today, posted Jan. 07th, about the new Epiphany series drums,
I would have loved to change my entire tuning between songs when playing everything from swing music to Lady Gaga in a cover band.

You can.....with Roto's........!!!!!! ;)

These drums and hardware are mildly interesting......but maybe for the stay at home drummer bunch...??
No way would I take anything like this on tour......
bt

Trilock_Gurtu

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would have loved to change my entire tuning between songs when playing everything from swing music to Lady Gaga in a cover band. In small clubs I think it would be noticeable and effective.
just read this thread today,
I don't think the hardware is "hideous" I don't know why the system would "fail", (bike brake cables last for years outdoors), unless the cables are poor quality.
I have read in other threads that some dislike the host of SLAD but I have no problem with him, he seems honest and knowledgable. Their vids are very useful imho,

Yeah, but what about that epic drummer face...

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 3.38.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 3.38.20 PM 1.png

Last edited:

JimmyM

Reaction score
I don't mean to say that people need this snare to survive, nor that you can't get the job done on a huge variety of gear from high end to budget. But what I am saying is that this whole "The audience can't tell the difference" stuff is not true. Pino Palladino said that he had fans coming up to him after shows trying to correct his interpretations of Entwistle lines when he joined The Who, and tons of folks complained about his tones not being "Who regulation." Metallica's had two albums slagged horribly for their mixes, and one album that was trashed solely on the snare drum sound.

Somewhere between the guy from 1926 who thinks drum sounds don't matter, and a fairly sophisticated music listening base with audiences often made up of people who have actually tried to play music with varying degrees of success these days, is the truth.

Malc

Reaction score
I actually like this idea and as I'm currently in a cover band whose repertoire spans 50 odd years,I reckon I would use it quite a bit.
As to whether anyone else would appreciate or even notice,sadly/ gladly I'm flanked at gigs by Marshall stacks,and we all know how much they dominate at times ( sound check at a 6, strangely rises to 11 during the gig!).

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
why stop at the snare

this will age you 4X as fast
I can see it being an advantage on toms IF you are tuning both head the same as I have been doing. If I am understanding how the thing works.

During a gig and one tom sounds off you can reach down fix it with a simple twist. I don't believe most drummers tune the snare and bass drum in that manner.

Just my thoughts,
sherm

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Many of the best inventions were created to solve a problem the inventor had. Other inventions invent a problem to sell units. Those might sell a few but they don't usually stick around.

JimmyM

Reaction score
You know, not once have I ever heard a tympani player say, "I'm not going near that tympani with that stupid pedal ruining my precious head tuning!" And who doesn't love twisting Roto Toms and getting different tunings? But man, try to do it on a snare and they freak!

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I think it's a cool experiment but adds to the hw cost and comes with its own potential problems. I won't slag it, I'm intrigued myself, but feel it's unlikely to take over the world.

hardbat

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since I always tune the top and bottom heads equal on my toms (but not the snare), the logical setup would be WTS cables on the toms, and this new dial thingy on the snare. So all I have to do is mortgage the home and I'll be finally able to tune my drums really fast for those $100 gigs.