Is this Camco Oaklawn snare a re-wrap / re-badge?

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think you could find a spring for that fairly easy at a hardware store.
An original spring might be tough and the Camco keys are out there also but sometimes not cheap.

Wayne

DolFan54

Camco Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty sure that version of Champagne was only available during the Oaklawn period when the badge did NOT say USA on it. The re-rings look like standard width, not the extra wide ones used during George Way that carried over to Camco for a short time. So that would end the possibility of your drum being a 5.5x14. More than likely it’s a 4 ply. Congrats!

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure that version of Champagne was only available during the Oaklawn period when the badge did NOT say USA on it. The re-rings look like standard width, not the extra wide ones used during George Way that carried over to Camco for a short time. So that would end the possibility of your drum being a 5.5x14. More than likely it’s a 4 ply. Congrats!
Thanks! Gotta find a spring for that throwoff, and I should be ready to go when it gets here. Good to know several of you Camco guys think it looks like a nice, if not somewhat rare, Oaklawn snare.

Last edited:

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep - I might have to go through the spring bin at Lowe's looking for a replacement.

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I thought the same thing. There was that early period when the uncatalogued wraps showed up (peacock, capri, and this version of champagne), and that these wraps tended to show up on the Tuxedo lugged drums with the "Oaklawn, Illinois" (sans "USA") badges, and usually with a chrome plated grommet. It may be that we are seeing yet another exception to the "rules" of Camco. There always seem to be exceptions! It will be interesting to see the interior shots of the grommet to see if it has been altered or not.

Regardless, it's a nice drum with a very uncommon finish!