Is this cymbal damage as bad as it looks?

The Whale

Priest of the Temples of Syrinx
Reaction score
This is a giant beat 20-in thin. Guy says he's a hard hitter and that you can only tell that there's ripples when you look underneath.... Looks really bad to me and I'm thinking it could affect the sound of assembly and possibly lead to cracks. Am I wrong?
00505_2QlhAy287kyz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea I donT think nOthing to A worRy
it's B8 it's pretty malleable let it alone and play it

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd wager that with their eyes closed, no one could tell the difference in sound between that and an "undamaged" one.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy a rippled/dented cymbal from a "hard hitter" unless the cymbal was really cheap (I'm doubting this is the case) or the cymbal is pretty rare (this is definitely not the case).

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would question if it was built (sent shipped) that way.
Kinda weird if the dents were put in there by playing.
B8 bends before it will crack like B20

and only seen from the bottom? ah. it came that way I got 50 cent bet on it

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve only seen these kind of edge dents on cheap brass cymbals you would get with a kids kit

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had a Paiste 2oo2 red label 16" med thin with edges similar to that one. They were dented all around the cymbal.
At first glance you might have thought it was a Sound Edge hi hat.....lol.
I sold it for $35 to a friend who needed a good light crash where appearance was no issue. While it wasn't cracked it surely wasn't worth anywhere near what a clean would should fetch. In this case maybe 1/3 to 1/2.
Oh yeah.....it sounded great too. But, condition also dictates price.....just like in a used car.

Last edited:

Latdrummer

Reaction score
I wouldn't buy unless it's pretty cheap, definitely not normal for a relatively new cymbal to be in that condition. You're betting on whether the cymbal has microfissures or not.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Too many guys say 'buy it at the right money'. Nonsense, if you are not going to play it, don't invest another second of time in thought on it. Regardless of the price. You're the one stuck then to sell it and the next guy is asking the same questions you are. Don't propagate corrupt sound in a drum or cymbal. Walk away!

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd low-ball him on the price. Tell him you're nervous about all the dents. See what he says, maybe you'll get it for a song

Franklin Nigel Stein

Reaction score

The Whale

Priest of the Temples of Syrinx
Reaction score
A Rush fan who knows some Koine, nice.

η αγαπη ανυποκριτος

(Sorry, no breathing or accent marks today)
Ha ha! Awesome! Romans 12:9 is what I'm all about!

As for the cymbal guys, I ended up telling him I was not comfortable paying for it but I would trade him. I gave him an 18 inch Zildjian A medium crash that I paid $125 for. And the 20-in thin giant beet as it turns out it's not nearly as bad as he made it sound for the picture show. It's actually an excellent shape and sounds amazing!
20210825_192853.jpg

20210825_192827.jpg

Last edited:

Latdrummer

Reaction score
As for the cymbal guys, I ended up telling him I was not comfortable paying for it but I would trade him. I gave him an 18 inch Zildjian A medium crash that I paid $125 for. And the 20-in thin giant beet as it turns out it's not nearly as bad as you made it sound for the picture show. It's actually an excellent shape and sounds amazing!
It sounds like a fair trade, how do you like the cymbal? Those Giant Beats have almost B20 qualities though made from B8 bronze, very mellow and airy. And yeah, it looks good from your pictures.