Is this cymbal damage as bad as it looks?

itsjjp

Reaction score
Sounds like you got a great deal. I bought a 20in GB reissue when those came out, and can attest to the Bonham-like awesomeness of those babies.

robertgarven

Reaction score
I love my thin cymbals but they bend and dent much more than medium or heavy's. I get more warpage on the hole which tends to deform as I hit them hard and they bend up against the cymbal stand shaft. just a comment . I would pay less for that condition for sure

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Steer toward great sounding cymbals that are undervalued by the market because of perceived “damage” that has no impact on sound. (KConfucius)
The problem with this is that those "undervalued" modern made cymbals surviving in mass quantities will ALWAYS be undervalued....no matter how good they sound.

Last edited:

Quentino

Reaction score
Interesting. I've got a 20 inch Paiste 2002 ride I bought new in the late 70s. I used to ride the bell a lot and it basically dented!! It's just soft metal, no two ways about it. I got a 20 inch Zildjian Rock Ride instead. The Paiste sounds perfect but looks terrible - is it possible to have the bell re-spun by someone who knows what they're doing or should I just sell it for peanuts? My 16 and 18 Paiste 2002 crashes also both cracked.

These days I use a 60s 19 inch Zildjian Ride that I bought at an Op-Shop (thrift store in the US) for A$15 - had no idea what it was until I cleaned it one day ... it is incredible. The other two rides will be sold - the 19 is a keeper.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to ride the bell a lot and it basically dented!! It's just soft metal, no two ways about it. I got a 20 inch Zildjian Rock Ride instead. The Paiste sounds perfect but looks terrible - is it possible to have the bell
tap it out with a combination of hammers (rubber etc..) I've done it with B8 cup holes when they've 'bent' and a B8 edge. Maybe be able to "tap the dent out"...

Quentino

Reaction score
I did do this once and it worked out OK. Last time I tried it seemed to leave obvious marks. I'll give it another go and be more careful! Mainly want it to look respectable for sale.

Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: JDA

Michael M.

Reaction score
This is a giant beat 20-in thin. Guy says he's a hard hitter and that you can only tell that there's ripples when you look underneath.... Looks really bad to me and I'm thinking it could affect the sound of assembly and possibly lead to cracks. Am I wrong?
View attachment 514620
View attachment 514617
View attachment 514619
It doesn't look too bad yet, but it's going to be someday. When cracks do appear use high magnification (microscope )to find the end of the crack, and drill a 1/8th inch hole at the end of the crack. If you hit the end of the crack it will stop. If not it will keep on cracking. If necessary drill it again. The lesson here is don't hit your cymbals so damned hard.

Michael M.

Reaction score
Interesting. I've got a 20 inch Paiste 2002 ride I bought new in the late 70s. I used to ride the bell a lot and it basically dented!! It's just soft metal, no two ways about it. I got a 20 inch Zildjian Rock Ride instead. The Paiste sounds perfect but looks terrible - is it possible to have the bell re-spun by someone who knows what they're doing or should I just sell it for peanuts? My 16 and 18 Paiste 2002 crashes also both cracked.

These days I use a 60s 19 inch Zildjian Ride that I bought at an Op-Shop (thrift store in the US) for A$15 - had no idea what it was until I cleaned it one day ... it is incredible. The other two rides will be sold - the 19 is a keeper.
I'm a machinist, and latheing won't help a dent. It needs to be hammered by someone who knows what they are doing. I would send it to the lady at 37 Cymbals. She does BEAUTIFUL work.

Quentino

Reaction score
Was thinking more 'spinning' which I gather is the way cymbals are made - I too use a lathe (my own) and would never try machining a cymbal! I'm assuming the lady at 37 Cymbals isn't in Australia?

Michael M.

Reaction score
Was thinking more 'spinning' which I gather is the way cymbals are made - I too use a lathe (my own) and would never try machining a cymbal! I'm assuming the lady at 37 Cymbals isn't in Australia?
Only the che
Only the cheapest junk cymbals are spun. Zildjians, Paistes ect... Are cut on a lathe that is similar to a wood lathe. Each " Chuck" is a mandrel with either a concave, or convex surface that matches the cymbal contour front or back . A hand tightened " nut " screws on to the threaded mandrel. A bar or tool rest is used to lay a cutting tool on, and the operator holds the other end. The cutting tool is about 1 1/4" wide and 1/4 to 5/16 inches thick and about 14" long. The cutting end has a large radius about the same as a quarter. A picture is worth a thousand words, so a video is much better. Check out a TV show called "How It's Made" . They have a video called " How Cymbals Are Made", and it's from the Zildjian factory. It's REALLY cool. 37 Cymbals is in California. Check her website. She does BEAUTIFUL work.

Quentino

Reaction score
Awesome info. Thanks! I'd simply made the assumption that with the shape and thinness fo the metal, that only spinning could achieve it. I have my own lathe and do average complexity work on it, so always associated lathes with cutting something out of solid or 'billet'.

I'll definitely have a look at that vid - something to check out during another extended lockdown here in Melbourne! Unfortunately i don't think it makes economic sense to send my 20 inch Paiste to Ca, sadly.