header.nohb.html

Is this cymbal damaged?

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A recent Istanbul hand hammered top hi hat cymbal I received has this anomaly and/or damaged on top. The area covers at least 1 sq in. It doesn’t go through the cymbal yet goes through the first layer. Similar to a cracked inner ply on a 3 ply shell. I’ve seen anomalies yet this appears more intense.

Please offer your experience, insights and opinions. With gratitude.
B5FCC5B2-DF05-4198-A935-4ABF582A9164.jpeg
1305B62F-5DCE-4E6D-94AB-6CE594BA04B7.jpeg

2oo2

Reaction score
Looks like an air bubble in the casting stage, or some impurities got sandwiched and the lathe peeled the chunk that was not “adhered” to the rest of the casting. To me it looks like a defect that could lead to cracking down the road.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
A recent Istanbul hand hammered top hi hat cymbal I received has this anomaly and/or damaged on top. The area covers at least 1 sq in. It doesn’t go through the cymbal yet goes through the first layer. Similar to a cracked inner ply on a 3 ply shell. I’ve seen anomalies yet this appears more intense.

Please offer your experience, insights and opinions. With gratitude. View attachment 557114 View attachment 557115
Looks like a manufacturing defect. Can you see anything on the other side?

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Do you think it could be from aggressive playing right on that spot? Doesn’t seem likely unless there was a pre existing defect.
Just received it and unfortunately don’t know the history. It’s an area that has more risk of future problem when compared to a space w/o an anomaly. Just not sure how much more risk. I think being a hi hat top creates even more concern.

Lt. Frank Drebin

Reaction score

Please offer your experience, insights and opinions. With gratitude. View attachment 557114 View attachment 557115
I would avoid this cymbal. That defect is a weak spot. The metal in those "cracks" is thin there and that's where you're going to get premature cracking.

Vintage Old School

Reaction score
Document the damage and if you purchased it from a dealer contact them with your concerns.
If you like the way the cymbal sounds and performs I'd play it as is.
Worse case scenario is it might crack or break.
Best case scenario is it might outlive you.

Tarkus

Reaction score
I’ve seen plenty of occlusions in the cast but that close to the edge is worrisome. I don’t think it should’ve passed the final inspection and got out the door

That's my opinion, too.

Is this Agop or Mehmet?

Anyway, for me, this is the exact spot on hi hat top, where I hit most during the evening.

FatBoy46

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

If purchased new- I would return it. This is a factory defect. and will eventually crack. Bought it cheap? Play it!!

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've had top hi hats with cracks. I just play them on the opposite side. Yeah, you do have to keep an eye on the hat rotating and move it back.
While it's annoying at times....the cracks don't get worse. This type of defect is right up Carl's alley.