Is this cymbal damaged?

brokenstick

Reaction score
Whatever the cause I had to grind a radius out of the edge of my first swish cymbal back in '71.No problem to this day.Will your cymbal decompose over time?Who knows what evil lurks.

Lt. Frank Drebin

Reaction score
Whatever the cause I had to grind a radius out of the edge of my first swish cymbal back in '71.No problem to this day.Will your cymbal decompose over time?Who knows what evil lurks.
A cymbal will always crack before it decomposes. We can all offer-up evidence of cracked cymbals, but can you offer-up evidence of a cymbal decomposing?

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I purchased the hats, the issue was not disclosed. Seller denied prior knowledge and is blaming the shipping company. I’ve reserved my responses as a result. I appreciate everyone’s feedback and insight. Clearly it’s challenging to predict the risk value of said area. Most important I was not given a choice on whether or not it’s acceptable to me at the time of purchase. I paid enough money that I can have an Agop reissue version w/o worry or monitoring/avoiding that spot. I now return to the shadows.

2oo2

Reaction score
If they are pre-split maybe it’s worth keeping them, just place the “bad” spot away from you and play on the good area.

MJB

Reaction score
Hi everyone could you please advise me on my Sweet Ride scratches. I bought this slightly used it looks new but didn’t see the marks. It’s not cracked feels like scratches or light gouges. Two spots dark color in color in the hammer spots. I see other very tiny spots like it but these are bigger. I did post in my own topic but am eager to hear opinions. Thank you for helping.

Attachments

• D15D83F6-043C-4227-BE16-F7FEC9D5BD87.jpeg
    D15D83F6-043C-4227-BE16-F7FEC9D5BD87.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 36
  • E92B43CA-0954-492D-8F3E-84891CAAC2F1.jpeg
    E92B43CA-0954-492D-8F3E-84891CAAC2F1.jpeg
    41.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 04FAC3DC-5356-47E1-886C-D672DB2890E9.jpeg
    04FAC3DC-5356-47E1-886C-D672DB2890E9.jpeg
    34.2 KB · Views: 36

Dave H.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Send them back. It's a new cymbal and should be taken care of! Sounds like the seller is passing the buck!

Slawman

mathale

Reaction score
I've had top hi hats with cracks. I just play them on the opposite side. Yeah, you do have to keep an eye on the hat rotating and move it back.
While it's annoying at times....the cracks don't get worse. This type of defect is right up Carl's alley.
Thanks Tama CW! I'm a bit late to the party, but I hope to still be helpful.

Not an issue in my book. The cymbal is fine. And actually, if I saw that myself, I would probably nab it because of the impurity pocket. But then again, I'm an old K nut, and as many of us know, part of the magic with the old Ks is/was the impure alloy solutions (premierplayer is correct regarding soot/ash/scale/impurities getting rolled into the ingot). I'm convinced that the Type 3 series were the dirtiest of eras. Lol! So dark and smokeyyyyy... .

Back to my point - pretty darn near all of my old Ks have impurities, and some even have areas where the superficial layers have flaked or chipped off. A handful of them have tiny little cracks running through and along those pockets of matter - topside and/or bottom side. None have yet to amount to any issue(s). No cracks spreading, etc. And we're talking about very old cymbals that have taken a beating I'm sure. And my favorites tend to have the most overt areas of question. I'll attach pics - old Ks and a few ARTCYMBALs by Manabu Yamamoto.

I'd go along with what some of the folks said here - if you like the sound, keep it. If it were me, I wouldn't be fazed about it. However, if you just don't like it, then maybe pursuing satisfaction with the company is best (asking for a return/exchange).

Attachments

• Type IIIb.2.1.a.JPG
    Type IIIb.2.1.a.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Type IIIb.2.2.1.a.jpg
    Type IIIb.2.2.1.a.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Type IIIb.3.JPG
    Type IIIb.3.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Type IIIb.2.JPG
    Type IIIb.2.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Type IIIb.4.JPG
    Type IIIb.4.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 26
  • Type I.JPG
    Type I.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Type IIIa.JPG
    Type IIIa.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 27
  • ARTCYMBAL.1.jpg
    ARTCYMBAL.1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 25
  • ARTCYMBAL.2.jpg
    ARTCYMBAL.2.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 34

MJB

Reaction score
Thanks Tama CW! I'm a bit late to the party, but I hope to still be helpful.

Not an issue in my book. The cymbal is fine. And actually, if I saw that myself, I would probably nab it because of the impurity pocket. But then again, I'm an old K nut, and as many of us know, part of the magic with the old Ks is/was the impure alloy solutions (premierplayer is correct regarding soot/ash/scale/impurities getting rolled into the ingot). I'm convinced that the Type 3 series were the dirtiest of eras. Lol! So dark and smokeyyyyy... .

Back to my point - pretty darn near all of my old Ks have impurities, and some even have areas where the superficial layers have flaked or chipped off. A handful of them have tiny little cracks running through and along those pockets of matter - topside and/or bottom side. None have yet to amount to any issue(s). No cracks spreading, etc. And we're talking about very old cymbals that have taken a beating I'm sure. And my favorites tend to have the most overt areas of question. I'll attach pics - old Ks and a few ARTCYMBALs by Manabu Yamamoto.

I'd go along with what some of the folks said here - if you like the sound, keep it. If it were me, I wouldn't be fazed about it. However, if you just don't like it, then maybe pursuing satisfaction with the company is best (asking for a return/exchange).
Thanks for the information I’m pleased with my K. It’s the first one I’ve owned Im usually playing heavier vintage A’s but this is nicer in every way.

Cymbalpaul

Reaction score
A recent Istanbul hand hammered top hi hat cymbal I received has this anomaly and/or damaged on top. The area covers at least 1 sq in. It doesn’t go through the cymbal yet goes through the first layer. Similar to a cracked inner ply on a 3 ply shell. I’ve seen anomalies yet this appears more intense.

Please offer your experience, insights and opinions. With gratitude. View attachment 557114 View attachment 557115
I wouldn’t worry too much about that. Although it looks ugly it won’t affect the performance and or the durability of the cymbal.

MJB

Reaction score
I agree it looks strange but mine has a smaller defect that happens during the making process. It was explained to me how these things are fairly common. If you got a decent price and it’s not driving you nuts it’s cool.

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This cymbal will fail in the long run....that will develop over time to a full size crack. Just my 2 cents from decades of experience

Reactions: MJB

mathale

Reaction score
This is an old K. Constantinople, Stamp 4. Been around for nearly a hundred years without any crack development. Granted, this is the bell area.

Attachments

• 3C7063CF-496C-472F-A32E-A47888265DF1.jpeg
    3C7063CF-496C-472F-A32E-A47888265DF1.jpeg
    33 KB · Views: 18

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hum -- let's see here........

Well, according to Pinkpunkybrewster on page 95 at the bottom, the cymbal was made by the cymbalsmiths at Hammerjian in the late 70s. Since the tail is less than 3times the vertical width alignment of the double-fortex stack, it was made in an odd year, and of course if we knew how precisely tall it was, we could determine if it was made on a month with 30 or 31 days in it (as we all obviously know it was not made in February because it does not have 3 dots in the middle).

I understand that these are pretty rare. I'd keep it for sure, unless you need the money and know of a collector who does not have one of these yet. Surely quite a find!