Is this Ludwig snare authentic?

natancampos

Reaction score
Hi,

I got the opportunity to buy this for a good price, but the badge looks sketchy to me, never seen a plain one, numbers only, like this. Also the 5 digit serial number...

On the other hand, the overall appearance says it's a legit hammered brass ludwig to me... what do you think?

Attachments

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
The modern Keystone badge that wast first brought back for the Legacy classic is the same size of the 60's badge but is not etched they way the 60's badges were.They are just painted with the same basic design. Looks like someone went over it with Brasso or some other polish and ended up removing the paint from the badge. The lacquer finish on the shell looks very funky too. Like something was spilled on it that damaged the lacquer and they tried polishing the whole shell but weren't that successful.

That should be taken into account on the price.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Shell looks right. Butt plate (I hate that one!) looks right. Hoops look right. Grommet on badge looks right. Badge looks vintage as I don't think modern ones are that small, and thus the badge is wrong, plus why is it missing the "Ludwig" + drum + sticks logos? Maybe sanded down? Definitely odd. What is the throw off? What is the price? It's not pretty but I like it!

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
You guy's are aware that Ludwig has been making a Keystone badge the same size as the 60's badge since they introduced it on the Legacy Classic? Right? Look at the picture that thestorysold posted. Just like the one on the OPs drum.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
They are just painted with the same basic design. Looks like someone went over it with Brasso or some other polish and ended up removing the paint from the badge.
I think Thin Shell solved this mystery