header.nohb.html

Is this normal?

Belroi

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new to drumming and have recently bought some late 50s A Zildjian hi-hats (weights are 903g and 772g). I'm experiencing a 'hum' which changes according to the pressure I apply to the foot pedal. I've included an awfully shot video to demonstrate (sound up, please). Experienced drummers: is this normal? What might be causing it? Is there any way to stop it? Thank you in advance for your wisdom.

2oo2

Reaction score
I’ve experienced this with some light weight hi-hats, they just deform more easily under foot pressure, but that hollow sound is just the nature of that particular pair, not much you can done except playing with position and tilt angle.

Tony_H

Reaction score
My A-Custom hi-hats do that very same thing. Like mentioned above they are fairly light cymbals. I have since relegated those hi-hats to my practice kit and now perform with a Sabian AAX Freq hi-hats, which are heavier and I don't seem to notice that sound, or it's not as prevalent under normal pressure.

Belroi

Reaction score
I’ve experienced this with some light weight hi-hats, they just deform more easily under foot pressure, but that hollow sound is just the nature of that particular pair, not much you can done except playing with position and tilt angle.
I will try that. Thank you.

Belroi

Reaction score
My A-Custom hi-hats do that very same thing. Like mentioned above they are fairly light cymbals. I have since relegated those hi-hats to my practice kit and now perform with a Sabian AAX Freq hi-hats, which are heavier and I don't seem to notice that sound, or it's not as prevalent under normal pressure.
Thanks!

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good question. No, I’m not sure. How would I find out/rectify?
You could try clamping something onto the upper stand tube or just grab it with one hand and play the hats with the other to muffle any possible resonance from the stand itself

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
You could try clamping something onto the upper stand tube or just grab it with one hand and play the hats with the other to muffle any possible resonance from the stand itself
That's a good piece of advice right there, I wouldn't have even thought of trying a different stand.

Belroi

Reaction score
Good tip. No change in sound when I grab the upper stand tube so I guess it's just because they're thin cymbals. Not the end of the world. I like the low pitch you get from light hi-hats, so I guess it's just a tradeoff you have to make.

rstange1

Reaction score
Normal for sure. Just like bending the pitch of a drum by applying pressure to the head, you're bending the pitch of the closed hats with extra foot pressure. Nice hats BTW! :)

DrumPhil

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
As mentioned above, yes it's normal. I agree with those who suggest that you:
1. try not pressing so hard with your foot, and
2. use the screw that should be under the bottom cymbal holder to add a little bit more tilt to the bottom cymbal

You don't need dramatic angle for the bottom cymbal, but a little bit of tilt will help prevent airlock with the top cymbal and give a bit more nuanced sound options when playing the hats with the foot and when playing sticks on the hats in partially closed positions.

Have fun experimenting with it!

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sure - don´t step on the pedal so hard. Tread lightly. Experiment with the pressure and you´ll hear what those hats like best. They have the potential to sound really good, you just need to learn how to treat them - just like any musical instrument. Have fun!
Well said.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new to drumming and have recently bought some late 50s A Zildjian hi-hats (weights are 903g and 772g). I'm experiencing a 'hum' which changes according to the pressure I apply to the foot pedal. I've included an awfully shot video to demonstrate (sound up, please). Experienced drummers: is this normal? What might be causing it? Is there any way to stop it? Thank you in advance for your wisdom.

How any pics of the hats and their stamps?
I love 50's A's!