header.nohb.html

Is this the oldest New LUDWIG AND LUDWIG drum ????

Commodore

Reaction score
@KCJazz
I accidently deleted this in cleaning up the thread: The snare stand found with the drum has been dated 1888-1912. The Hamilton company was founded in 1870.
thumbnail-11.jpg

Last edited:

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m just gonna add the Lyon and Healy Archives to my bucket list. How do I get there?

Commodore

Reaction score
I’m just gonna add the Lyon and Healy Archives to my bucket list. How do I get there?
Ha Ha. You need to keep up!
…actually said ….one alternative to explain the state of the drums preservation.

What I’m telling you now …DON’T GO THERE! :)
s-l1600-97.jpg

Lyon & Healy was retailing drums made for them by other vendors for quite a long time... This one is circa 1900.
;)

Last edited:
Reactions: JDA

Commodore

Reaction score
Yes, indeed anyone who is paying attention agrees with you. With the addition that even the suggestion that this drum was ever in a "Lyon and Healy archive" is a fabrication. Or even that there was such a thing as a "Lyon and Healy archive".
ONE MORE TIME ...this drum is …not a Universal…

1.) This snare does NOT HAVE crimped snare beds: Crimped snare beds were later. Universals all have crimped snare beds.
2.) The body is taller.
3.) The two piece seam is thicker.
4.) Most Universal’s have one-piece shells.
5.) The hoops are taller than those from the teens, 20's, and later snares.

This drum was made well before the "Ludwig brand" became well known. I’m convinced it was produced as a private label for Lyon and Healy.

Last edited: