Is this trade worth the hassle?

daveplaydrum

Reaction score
I’ve been chatting up with a potential trade partner on Craigslist about a trade of my 15” Paiste 505 heavy hi hats for a 1964 Ludwig Pioneer snare drum. I’m not crazy about the hi hats and it seems like a fair trade so I want to be on board. But then he sent some pics and the finish isn’t in very good condition. He said I could just take the paint off and stain it. Otherwise it looks to be in fine condition for its age. I like the idea of a project drum but honestly, I’ve never done it and I’m not particularly handy. Is this something that is worth my time in your opinion? I don’t even know how I would strip the paint. Any advice from someone experienced in this sort of thing?

Attachments

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My first instinct would be to keep it as is if you aren't good with this type of project. I tried one myself and ended up wrapping a kit. My "rattle can" paint abilities left a lot to be desired.

In all honesty, I don't know enough about the drum to know if it has any value or not.

Myself, I'd either leave it as is or pass.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I would trade anything that says 505 for that Pioneer all day. Looks like you can just leave the snare as is and just play. It appears pre serial or at least with NOB hoops and that’s a sweet deal.
THIS, it’s a great trade and I would leave the drum original. I know some people prefer that everything they own is pristine but that drum has great character and I’m sure it sounds great.

daveplaydrum

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input! I was more than likely going to do the trade anyways, just wasn’t sure about the paint stripping part. I guess I could have worded that better lol

I’ve been wanting to try my hand at restoring a drum and that’s why it’s in my head to strip the paint and maybe stain it. But I also don’t want to ruin it...and if you’ve seen my drywall patches and DIY plumbing fixes you’d see why I’m concerned about that haha

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
brass hoops baby, old brass baby..
...(the donald fagen black cow imitation ; )

Last edited:

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd do the trade as well. Paiste 505s seem to be popular these days for the novelty. They're perfectly fine cymbals, but IMO have some hype associated with them due to their age. The heavy part is probably also working in your favor. 60s Ludwig wood snares though, legit mojo all day - I've largely gotten over the vintage snare bug, but these are the exception. I have an 8 lug 6.5" and it is one of my favorite drums ever. That video from Carter above says it all (and who would have thought JDA would be the one to post it ;) )

Reactions: JDA

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other part is that shipping has gotten so expensive, selling anything drum related for less than $200 these days seems questionable since you're going to spend at least 10% of that shipping it. So the fact that you can do this locally is a win/win for both of you.

Edit - I just took a look at what Pioneers are selling for on Reverb (yes, this thread got me curious about picking another one up :)). Oh my, prices have gone up, hard to spot one for under $300. I'd definitely take that trade.

NoMotivationDrummer

Reaction score
I would go for the trade!

Vintage drums are almost always worth it, especially coming from a trusted manufacturer such as Ludwig. It probably sounds KILLER too! I love the sound of vintage drums, and that is why my dream drum set is am 80's TAMA superstar in Aquamarine Lacquer. Vintage drums sound amazing, and looks don't matter too much IMO.

-Nomo