Is this trade worth the hassle?

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tell you what, if you trade and hate the snare I will trade you a pair of new 2002 Big Beat hats or buy you another set of 505’s for the Pioneer and cover shipping cost.

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you move the drum along let me know, I need those hoops and that shell.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
and who would have thought JDA would be the one to post it
I'm coming around to him; if he's going to be the one; to lead a section of the young generation; I gotta give him credit when credit is due and encouragement ( he discovered a 61 6L pioneer! woo! 10 points!! yes this (recognizing matters in this 22nd century.
: b
2) I'm waiting for Larry L rod to see the snare drum and sell all his
; ))

daveplaydrum

Reaction score
Trade...

but PLEASE do not refinish!

the old paint is part of the vintage beauty, and refinishing it will make it hard to sell in the future.
Okay okay! I won’t refinish lol I’m surprised it’s such an overwhelming consensus but I also don’t talk vintage drums often so this might just be the norm that I am unaccustomed to

Last edited:

daveplaydrum

Reaction score
I tell you what, if you trade and hate the snare I will trade you a pair of new 2002 Big Beat hats or buy you another set of 505’s for the Pioneer and cover shipping cost.
Depending on 1) if the trade goes through and 2) I decide I don’t need a third snare you may be hearing from me then! I’ve never had more than two snares...a Tama SLP Bubinga that I use with my band and an Acrolite that I use at home on my practice kit. I’ve kept it that way for years and been content. Never would have considered a third snare if it wasn’t for the decent trade proposal.

daveplaydrum

Reaction score
For anyone interested...I made the trade today! Haven’t been able to spend too much time playing it yet but I did work at tuning it up for a bit. The heads are pretty old but they seem to be in decent condition. Seems like it’ll be a nice addition, not sure if I’ll keep it though. Like I said in a previous post I usually only keep two snares. I’m trying to pare my gear down to what I actively use hence why I had the 505 hi hats on the market in the first place.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
by benefit you mean 'coming down to earth' (i hope.
...and concentrating on ' the notes'.. : ) and how to shape them.. : )

Fibes

Reaction score
Do the trade, but think twice about refinishing. Pioneers are climbing in value but refinishing brings the resale value down. And no one will still a flaking old drum....

Parcel

Reaction score
Sounds good. If its a classic, it will be worth something, even in its present condiition.
Once u get it, get it valued for insurance purposes...

Last edited:

Speedy Keen

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not refinish that Pioneer. There will be much more interest in that drum for potential resale if you leave it as it is.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
Nice trade... Even if you don't end up liking it you can probably sell/trade the thing and gain something from it. I like old stuff and I like Ludwig snares, but I'm personally not so crazy about 6 lug snares, which that looks like. Still, if I had that in my hands, I'd put new heads on the thing, check the edges to make sure they're even (and if not do a bit of sanding), QC everything else on it (the snares are going to be important, of course, tune it up and then if you don't love the thing you can probably turn it over for something you do...

Tom Holder

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input! I was more than likely going to do the trade anyways, just wasn’t sure about the paint stripping part. I guess I could have worded that better lol

I’ve been wanting to try my hand at restoring a drum and that’s why it’s in my head to strip the paint and maybe stain it. But I also don’t want to ruin it...and if you’ve seen my drywall patches and DIY plumbing fixes you’d see why I’m concerned about that haha
Definitely trade!! Jasco will make quick work of removing that old paint. Sand it down with fine sandpaper 220 - 400 grit and tack cloth. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN! Remove all specs of dust after sanding. Then brush on a few coats of walnut stain. That drum will look beautiful, like a brand-new vintage "school drum". It's not hard to do... go slow and be patient. Use the 220 paper one day, 300 grit the next day, and so-forth. There's no hurry, right? One day at a time so you don't burn out. Let the first coat of stain dry overnight and apply the second coat the next day. Two coats will probably be sufficient. Let the second coat dry overnight and check for runs. When you're happy with the finish, put all the hardware back on and take it out and show it off. You'll be so proud of it! New heads, top & bottom. Diplomat snare head and a coated ambassador on top, just like when it was new. Six-lug drums do not perform like an 8 or 10 lug, but you'll love it anyway. You'll get attached to it like a friendly old pet. You'll feel connected to it because of all the time and effort. For certain types of music, you can't "beat" those! Listen to Chuck Berry's "House of Blue Lights". That's a six-lug drum or I'll eat my hat! Fred Below, man. Old soul!