Is Yoni Madar a machine or a fraud? I dug little deeper and found out interesting details.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just had to do this video since, I don't like folks being fooled.
Feels bad to post it, but to me it's bit the similar thing that if a popular instagram-model is claiming to be all natural and their photos being not manipulated, that they better not be. Yoni claims that his playing on the video is unedited, and only mixed using Eq/compression etc, but I disagree and I have proof.
I just hate if youngster start idolising unnatural, impossible or fake ideals.
Use quantizising all you want but please admit if someone asks if you're doing it. :-?

Last edited:

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is interesting. I come across his videos on Facebook quite often, and every time I watched one I though something was off. I'm not saying the guy is a fraud, but its certainly possible. There are loads of shred guitar dudes on instigram that are fake as the Kardashians.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Are the fake drumming wars about to start like what happened with guitarists? It's about time some of this got called out.

eigentone

Reaction score
The phase of the bass drum was nuts-on for 68 consecutive loops? I have never ever seen that occur naturally. I co-owned a studio and have done a stupid amount of drum editing. Enhanced or faked in some way.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I believe it but what about the video sync? I realize that video being 24-60fps is a pretty gross time scale in terms of audio. But the eye is still pretty sensitive to frame rate modulation.

I'm curious. I started playing drums because I hated programming them. I have zero qualms or pretentiousness about using any sort of gimmick or cheat to improve my drum tracking. I also have zero ambition about being known as any sort of drumming hero. I just want to get back to song writing and guitar playing. I haven't tried recording in half time yet but it has crossed my mind. (Not that he's doing that here, the phase still wouldn't line up)

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
Is there actually any question that the sounds are samples? I’m asking for real, not trying to stir the pot. There is no doubt in my mind that they’re samples.

fenrir

Reaction score
The guy's got problems.
I'm not intimidated or annoyed by it though. Any real world exposure will render him as human as the rest of us. If anything he's made life hard for himself; inevitably he's gonna do a gig somewhere where he's dragging, rushing etc in the way we all do and people are going to think he sounds bad.

I get where it comes from; the desire to be perfect is overwhelming to those incapable of blocking out the monkey voice when scrolling endlessly through Instagram. It's a perversion of the self-editing anyone does when sharing their playing.
I'll occasionally film myself playing and then find thirty seconds of the best stuff to share with my 97 followers.

As I said, he's obviously insecure despite being an incredible player and perhaps has a desire for praise disproportionate to his significant ability.
He's also missing the essence of rhythm which is natural and inspired by the heartbeat, walking, nature, seasons, planets and is invariably lopsided, lilting, round and funky!

Last edited:

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Never heard of the guy but that is clearly quanititzed and the sounds are samples.

Even if he is some kind of drumming savant / freak of nature and that is really him playing straight to tape, the drums sound like crap and there is zero life to it. Why would someone aspire to sound like a drum machine?

If you have some more time to dissect a couple more these would get my vote.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
Never heard of the guy but that is clearly quanititzed and the sounds are samples.

Even if he is some kind of drumming savant / freak of nature and that is really him playing straight to tape, the drums sound like crap and there is zero life to it. Why would someone aspire to sound like a drum machine?

If you have some more time to dissect a couple more these would get my vote.

Not to be catty, but it looks like he seriously quantized his food intake between the 1st and 2nd videos.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So many insecure people on youtube all saying "Love me, Adore me".

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I really have a hard time understanding what the point of the two videos that I posted is. Where you ever use those beats? It's just complexity for complexity's sake. It's not musical in the least.

I believe that Shelly Mann was said to have been totally unimpressive while just noodling on the drum set but when he was playing a song with a band, he was obviously great. I would much rather be able to play well with a band than to be able to do stuff like this that you could never use musically.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I really have a hard time understanding what the point of the two videos that I posted is. Where you ever use those beats? It's just complexity for complexity's sake. It's not musical in the least.

I believe that Shelly Mann was said to have been totally unimpressive while just noodling on the drum set but when he was playing a song with a band, he was obviously great. I would much rather be able to play well with a band than to be able to do stuff like this that you could never use musically.
its about (if is true that he plays like this insane level) precision and control. It takes years to get to master this and you can use the thought behind in every situation like Colaiuta and Beauford. They can go to 100 but use up to 50 for a lot, but with their ability, they perform that 50 like we (try to) perform it at 100.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
I really have a hard time understanding what the point of the two videos that I posted is.
To answer honestly, I'd suppose that anyone who'd worked hard enough to develop such facility, assuming most of it is real, would want people to see it. Then you get views, upvotes and fawning comments involved and before you know it you're wading into addiction territory. YouTube drummers are sort of everyman on his little island wailing away anyway. You could spend your time in worse ways. Fakery is risky, though. Like the girl with the hourglass figure who turns out to be built more like a beachball.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've only seen a few of those technique videos like the paradiddle or that crazy double bass stuff... I didn't find it very musical and just asked to myself, "what's the point," other than the obvious Mt. Everest/because it's there effort. I did find another one where he is working through an "aggressive African grove" that makes him seem way more human than those other clips I've seen. I also watched this one at different speeds vis the Settings function to help me understand/absorb what he's playing.

Maybe this is just a set in a new wave of technical drumming where precision is paramount... who knows, maybe they grew up on drum machines and are that tight...
I just think about Jojo playing that D&B music that sounds like just like a machine... or even this clip with DOMi and JD Beck... I close my eyes and I'd swear this kid's part was programmed in a DAW.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
While I'm with you on the importance of musical applications, he's trying to push the envelope. Whether or not that is or will be of use to those of us playing the VFWS of the world, who's to say? In the near term likely not. But every few years, the music changes. Who would have anticipated drum'n'bass 25 years ago? If that's not your cup of tea, don't drink it.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Drum n bass sounds like about any other electronic music to me. Which is frustrating, because I've got ideas for a stripped back trio that's just drums and bass and vocals. But it would need another name now.

Latest posts