Issues with Gretsch snare throw..

fishstix94

Reaction score
So I picked up a nice gretsch Steve Ferrone snare from a DFO member. It's a nice snare but I am having issues with the snare wires/throw. Admittedly this is my first gretsch snare, and my first snare that can be adjusted on both sides of the wires. I am having an issue where the knob on the non switch side of the throw just loses tension every 30seconds. Clearly when I took the snares off I put them on wrong.. any tips from gretsch users?

-Fish
20190306_143549.jpg
20190306_143541.jpg

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Gretsch snares have different throws and butts, so I can't comment specifically about what may be occuring.

Have you checked to make sure the plastic straps are not slipping or stretching? I would consider changing those to grosgrain ribbon (available at Walmart, craft stores, etc.).

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just crank the butt plate side screw to tight and don't use it to adjust. Just use the large knob on the throw lever side. That large knob should be somewhat loose when installing the wires (lever is in the "on" position), then turn the large knob to tighten a little once the wires are installed. The only downside is that this may cause tension on the throw side & the lever may want to creep off, which IMO is a flaw in this design.

I love the repro throws because they don't have this issue - the lever locks in place, and they fit the exact same holes as the old throws.

UPDATE: I just realized your throw off is the modern repro so you should be good to go!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't look right; those tabs of strap sticking out like that..

Last edited:

fishstix94

Reaction score
Just crank the butt plate side screw to tight and don't use it to adjust. Just use the large knob on the throw lever side. That large knob should be somewhat loose when installing the wires (lever is in the "on" position), then turn the large knob to tighten a little once the wires are installed. The only downside is that this may cause tension on the throw side & the lever may want to creep off, which IMO is a flaw in this design.

I love the repro throws because they don't have this issue - the lever locks in place, and they fit the exact same holes as the old throws.

UPDATE: I just realized your throw off is the modern repro so you should be good to go!
I'll look at it when I get home. I want using the but plate knob to adjust. It just keeps losing tension when I play. Maybe I didnt have it tight when I initially installed it?

fishstix94

Reaction score
My Gretsch snares have different throws and butts, so I can't comment specifically about what may be occuring.

Have you checked to make sure the plastic straps are not slipping or stretching? I would consider changing those to grosgrain ribbon (available at Walmart, craft stores, etc.).
I dont think that they are slipping.. like I said the but plate knob literally loses tension and I have to tighten it back up.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey fishstix! I'm pretty sure I see your problem! I have the same strainer and butt on my 2017 USA Custom snare drum. First, the butt is not slipping, which is near impossible since the adjusting knob has a curve in it to lock in place every half-turn. The issue is the way you have the snare wire plastic straps attached at the strainer and butt. Both ends need to come up from the back and then fold over and go down again, being held tightly by that second bar. I'm attaching pictures so you can hopefully see how it works.

-Mark

Attachments

Reactions: JDA