Issues with Ludwig Atlas Mounts - anyone else?

mcirish

Reaction score
So, I got a Classic Maple kit and I replaced the heads and tuned it perfect. I double check both rack toms so I know they are in tune with themselves. I put them on the cymbal stand Atlas mounts and that's where the trouble began. The lug that is attached to the Atlas mount pulls the lug sharp, so the tuning goes out. I can then pick up the other side of the drum (to ease the pressure from the mount) and the pitch goes back to what I had wanted it to be. Am I doing something wrong or is this how it functions normally. Don't get me wrong, the kit sounds amazing. I just have to retune it once it's mounted on the bracket.

Thoughts?

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There were a few threads about concerns with this mount when they first came out . If I recall correctly Some people had the same complaint you do . Some people removed the Atlas mount and went back to a RIMS Mount .

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow that stinks. I just got Classic Maple's with Atlas mounts. My last kit had the Vibramounts which worked fine but we're a pain when doing head changes + they are very heavy. I was looking forward to the Atlas! Hopefully when I set everything up, I won't have any issues.

hsosdrum

Reaction score
Just for sh*ts and giggles, have you tried tuning the tom to a much higher (or lower) pitch and if so, does the detuning also happen then?

mcirish

Reaction score
Yes, I've tried various tunings with the same results. Don't get me wrong; the Atlas mounting system is pretty clever and functionally works great. The tom in question is a 13" so it's fairly heavy. The pitch change is a semitone (half step). I'm not sure if it pulls on the lug or if it actually deforms the shell ever so slightly. I can easily touch up the tuning while it is mounted. I just never expected to have that issue at all. If I take the tension off the mount by picking up on the shell farthest away from the mount, it drops right back in to pitch. I checked out the 10" rack tom. It's quite a bit lighter and does not display that problem at all. It functions just fine.

Thanks for the observations and help.

Reddy

Reaction score
So, I got a Classic Maple kit and I replaced the heads and tuned it perfect. I double check both rack toms so I know they are in tune with themselves. I put them on the cymbal stand Atlas mounts and that's where the trouble began. The lug that is attached to the Atlas mount pulls the lug sharp, so the tuning goes out. I can then pick up the other side of the drum (to ease the pressure from the mount) and the pitch goes back to what I had wanted it to be. Am I doing something wrong or is this how it functions normally. Don't get me wrong, the kit sounds amazing. I just have to retune it once it's mounted on the bracket.

Thoughts?
I have 12” and 13” toms in maple classic and vistalite. I’ve never had a problem with holding tune. But I tune them while they are on the mount. Both sides. I have the single tom mount (atlas) that attaches to a cymbal stand. Maybe that’s how I avoided the issue? Cheers

mcirish

Reaction score
I also have the single Atlas mount on a cymbal stand. One on each side. I will just need to tune it while it is on the stand. If you have time or interest, check your tuning and then lift up on the tom to take pressure off the mount and check tuning at the lug where the mount is. I would assume it will be like mine where it drops in pitch on that lug.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I've noticed no issues like that with Atlas, but I always tune the batter while it's mounted. For full disclosure I don't use Atlas mounts at this time as I've gone to either Ludwig Classic or INDe mounts on my toms.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
If putting the drum on the mount causes the drum to go out of tune at the lug where the mount is, the drum is being pulled out of round at that spot.

mcirish

Reaction score
Yes, I'm starting to think the drum gets pulled out of round. Pretty hard to tune it when it's on the mount. I think I need to find another solution for the 13" rack tom mounting.

Heyleuck

Reaction score
Hey there, I used the Atlas mount on my 13" Keystone X and I had this exact problem. I ultimately decided to just replace the lug and go with a snare stand, it just seemed to be the best long term solution.

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yup, my 13" tom does it too. Never noticed it until I saw this thread. Can also hear the difference in choking if I apply a counter pressure to lift the tom from the opposite side ever so slightly. Looks like it's time to go back to a snare stand. Bummer.

Has anyone noticed the same thing with an INDe BR3?

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve never had this issue banging a 12” up. My Atlas is on my kick, though, and I feel it is more held up on top of the kick drum rather than hanging. Perhaps the drums branched from cymbal stands create a different physics? Ok. No idea.

Anyway, I know we all have different methodology and ears when it comes tuning.

Perhaps the answer for your mount issue is the response I often hear here when someone feels a shortcoming with Atlas: InDe.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
The Inde version (BR3) is lighter and more flexible. Designed by the same guy as the Atlas mounts, figure it is the new and improved version of the same idea he came up with. That extra flex might solve your issue...but it will cost you 50 bucks to find out.

Personally I do not like the idea of mounting drums or legs at tension points. I prefer to have the drums mounted from the center of a panel as was the traditional way for decades prior to the Atlas mount showing up. My feeling is to let the lugs do their job and the mount do its job and not mix the two...of course that requires drilling two holes in the side of the drum. I'm okay with that. I use that version of the INDe mount (BR2) wherever possible and am quite happy with the results.

gmiller598

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but there seems to be no perfect way to mount a tom. Atlas mounts seems to cause the lug to go sharp. A RIMA mount or similar I would think would cause a top head to go slightly flat due to the weight being spread across a few lugs. Mounting in the shell the old school way would limit the vibration of the wooden shell. Sitting a tom on a snare stand seems to do the same thing.

I guess it all comes down to what you are comfortable with. I can't speak for the INDe mount but I would expect somewhat of the same thing as the Atlas mount based on gravity and the weight of the drum.

mcirish

Reaction score
I like the Atlas mount system a lot. I too have wondered if there is a better way but I'm really not sure. It's not a perfect solution because of the pitch shift but the mount is very solid and easy to get the toms into the right position. I took a look at the RIMS system. That's pretty expensive to try as a test. I'm assuming most guys who are playing Ludwig drums are using the Atlas mounts, and I have not heard too many complaints. It may just be my OCD or near perfect pitch that is making me waste so much time thinking about this. I saw a video where a guy compared different mounting systems and did find that snare stands really reduce the resonance of the drum a lot compared to the Atlas system. Like everything, I think it is a trade-off.

Reddy

Reaction score
I like the Atlas mount system a lot. I too have wondered if there is a better way but I'm really not sure. It's not a perfect solution because of the pitch shift but the mount is very solid and easy to get the toms into the right position. I took a look at the RIMS system. That's pretty expensive to try as a test. I'm assuming most guys who are playing Ludwig drums are using the Atlas mounts, and I have not heard too many complaints. It may just be my OCD or near perfect pitch that is making me waste so much time thinking about this. I saw a video where a guy compared different mounting systems and did find that snare stands really reduce the resonance of the drum a lot compared to the Atlas system. Like everything, I think it is a trade-off.
I don’t think you’re over thinking it. I got curious and used some of my newly acquired pandemic time to try some things out. Not sure if I found any definitive truths, but some interesting differences. I DID find a small pitch change on the maple customs mounted on a tom stand attached to a cymbal stand. Not so much with the vistalite tom. Pretty rigid shell.

I have a tom mount hole on my 22” vistalite kick and mounted each tom that way. Very little difference at all. I think maybe the tom doesn’t “hang” away from the cymbal stand. The kick mounted tom seems to be held up from directly below and maybe there is a little less tom weight falling away from the mount. Of course the last thing this might be is scientific. I really like the atlas stuff. I use a kick mounted cymbal holder as well. I may try An Inde holder to see if there is a difference.