Istanbul Agop Traditional Jazz Series (VIDEO)

michaeldangelo

Reaction score
There was a recent thread about the new Istanbul Agop Traditional Jazz series cymbals and I managed to buy a set from Memphis Drum Shop when they were released a couple of weeks ago.

I made a video showcasing these great cymbals with one of John Riley's great play-a-longs. Enjoy!

bbshams

Reaction score
Man these are awesome. They really capture what I hear in my head as that sort of “contemporary/modern post-bop” sound— nice mix of clean stick and complex wash. Wonder how they sound from an audience.

Great playing too man! Cookin’

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
nice mix of clean stick and complex wash. Wonder how they sound from an audience.

Great playing too man! Cookin’
My thoughts, sounds very good! On the washy side, but you can get away with a lot of good wash, meaning it's not a high, crashy type of sound (like many other lighter Agops). They managed to lower the pitch with these.

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
Nice!

Got a 22" earlier this week. Definitely agree - they are on the washy side, but the stick is present, and you really need to hold things together by adapting attack, stick height, energy put in/through. Sure has some "dancing' devils" in them, but these are put at rest at the bar, watching an impressive, shimmering angelic breakdance take place.

In general, I think that the Traditional Jazz is not just lessons in the history of cymbal making and clever marketing for those inclined (I mean, the "Jazz Ride" have been made before, and a square logo on a round disc, cleverly placed in the hands of some top players in the US), but also a reminder to play the room, the cymbal, adapt. I like it.

michaeldangelo

Reaction score
Thanks for all the kind comments! I do believe these are different than Agop's previous Traditional "Jazz" ride, as the bells are hammered and the overall weight is considerably thinner.

I do agree they are a little washy, at this stage, but as they age and get a little bit of dirt on them they'll begin to mellow out. In my opinion, I think there is an "instant gratification" trend of cymbals being made that have an artificial patina (Kerope, Avedis, 30th Anniversary, independent cymbal smiths) to get the sound early, but I like the idea of watching them transform over time.

These are great recording cymbals so I'm curious to hear what they sound like in a year, 5 years, etc.

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
These are great recording cymbals so I'm curious to hear what they sound like in a year, 5 years, etc.
Beautiful playing as usual Michael. I think your comment here is spot on. I'd love to hear a 22 in the 2500 range. You can get away with much less weight when recording or having support from a few mics and a nice house mix. I wonder about these rides getting completely lost without help in anything other than a trio setting. Still it sounds good under your stick here.

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
But these look and sound different.
Yep, agree, I know - I have posted in another post a whole collage of photos of all the Agop "Jazz Rides" I could find. Different animals for sure, the new ones. Just think it's funny that they choose that name, where a "40th Anniversary" would have been cool also. Perhaps they save that designation for something later this year.

I also like that they do get dirty/stick marks quite easily. And a 2500g would be awesome!

Last edited: