Istanbul k zildjian WTF?

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The damage shown is very minor, and they're Istanbul Ks. That price isn't out of line, when compared to going prices.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Local Craigslist ad asking $450 bucks for a cracked and key holed set of hi hat cymbals.
Don't know much about the cymbals,but why would a seriously damaged set of cymbals be worth $450 bucks?
Because if they didn’t have those flaws they would be in $700-800 range I guess.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Uncracked sets of 14 have been available the past year in the $450-$600 range. $450 for that pair seems like all the money. I sold a 14" bottom cymbal stamp III with numerous bell hole cracks for nearly $200 on Reverb. For many, it's still cheaper than trying to wait for a pair with no issues. If you want a "perfect" pair in the "right" weightings with stickers and signatures, then they might indeed go for $700-$800. I had a shot at a set of Type III 15's last year meeting that met the "perfect" criteria (except for sigs) at the $650 level. Deal fell through when seller disappeared.

pgm554

Reaction score
I guess if you play with brushes they might last.

Tracktuary

Reaction score
Just for a point of a comparison, I bought my 14" New Stamps at the perfect weight of 795g / 990g for $600. No cracks or concerns. Signature fully visible under bell.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
Some don't care about the little cracks on the hole. If they aren't a big deal, you might find a holy grail sound wise. I've owned several Isty K Zildjians. Out of the best-sounding ones, many had cracks. There was one that I had that had a bit of cymbal material gone from the hole from cracking. Nonetheless a great-sounding cymbal. In the end it is about the sound. That's why the imperfections can be overlooked, especially if the price is better. These old cymbals (especially the thin ones) often have cracks. It's just an occupational hazard for old Ks.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've played my old Ks -gigs- at home- etc.- with baby spider cracks at the holes- on some- mostly hi hats- and 18s 16s left side rides...

Those hole spiders didn't happen over night. I surmise they happened over 15 to 20 years of prior use on lesser stands than we use today..
In the 12-15 plus years I've owned gigged and played them , none have budged none have gotten worse.

You have another 30 to 50 years in the cymbals in post #1. Maybe longer.

They're Zildjians remember and (from either continent) are as tough are as equal to, are comparable to any and every A from the same time period. Sound wise they're a whole nother complex deep dive but yet equal in strength. And that's a good thing. Celebrate it.

One thing you must always have to remember about Old Ks in comparison with modern cymbals is : They were not Tailored. They were not tailored to be "drumset" cymbals for "drumset" usage as we know "that" today. (whatever "that" is)
At most/best they were (are) Classical cymbals meant to be played in pairs.

With that said, well, that's about it.
the fact that some of them are awesome and some are just good/great is just a byproduct
happenstance. The odds are always very high. The standard was high. Not that they knew it.

Because they had nothing (much) to compare (themselves) to. Once the type of viewpoint and marketing specifics began to become prevalent, they were ceased closed down.

But they're definitely -in root construction- Zildjians. American Zildjian took from them
and carried on and ran concurrent with the now modern conception: input from drummers and with drum set ideas. It was just happenchance some (most, if not all) Old Ks thrived as suspended single cymbals.

Old K never lasted ( a trickle in 1978 much past) their centuries old tradition philosophy of classical hand cymbals

I'd like 59 cents for that speech
please send remittance to:

Old K Garage and Lounge
c/o untailored
Box 52
Old K blvd. apt. type III/IV
Grapeville, Pa.

Last edited: