Istanbul Mehmet Tony Williams cymbal pack questions

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I was reading a jazz mag this a.m. and it had an ad for this set of 14 hats, 18 crash & 22 ride that was based on TW's original cymbals that his widow actually flew to the factory in Turkey so they could be faithfully re-created.....fine. What got me is that, according to the ad (SEE BELOW), they were faithfully reproduced "right down to the cracks...." or words to that effect! Maybe just a dark line where the crack(s) is/was/were/are?

My question is: Tell me there is no way they actually made these cymbals with cracks from the factory??? I know I sound silly asking but it just didn't sound right. And for $2K, I'd be quite pissed if that was the case........

Also, anybody actually have these - what's the verdict??? Thanks!

PS: I don't have the ad handy but googled it and found a reprint of it from Jazz Times verbatim:

Istanbul Mehmet Tony Williams Tribute Cymbals
In an effort to capture the holy-grail cymbal sounds that Tony Williams achieved in Miles’ Second Great Quintet, Istanbul Mehmet has released the limited-edition—only 250 sets—Williams Tribute Set. As the PR material explains, these 14-inch hi-hat, 22-inch ride and 18-inch crash cymbals are hand-hammered replicas of Williams’ cymbals from that era. (Turkish-made K. Zildjians, to be exact, though the company can’t and doesn’t drop that name specifically in the literature.) The replication involved no shortcuts, to say the least: According to the company, Williams’ widow personally transported his cymbals to the factory in Istanbul, and even the cracks in the cymbals are reproduced in the quest for realness. The set includes a deluxe leather bag, along with a Certificate of Authenticity and collectible Williams photos. ($1,950 online) istanbulmehmet.com

Z

zenstat

link: http://jazztimes.com/articles/166177-gearhead-the-latest-instruments-accessories-and-educational-resources

I hadn't seen that particular claim before. I'd just see it as a triumph of marketing speak over common sense and accurate description.

Mattias has a set:

And Brooke is doing a demo of them here:

These don't seem to have any cracks either:

I haven't heard anybody mention "replica cracks" outside of the Jazz Times article. That doesn't mean it isn't written somewhere else in ad copy. I just might not have spotted it. I had a brief look on the Istanbul Mehmet site but I didn't see the Tony Williams info and the site was slow and hard to navigate so I didn't persist. I've got other things to do besides look for cracks in marketing prose. :icon_e_wink:

In general these cymbals have been well received, although some of the comments on the YouTube videos are at the expected low level of sophistication (displaying all the wit and wisdom of a small soap dish). The Tony Tribute cymbals have started to appear on the used market as well. A set went on Reverb for $1102 about 3 weeks ago. As discussed on CH:

http://www.cymbalholic.com/forums/showthread.php?6292-Istanbul-Mehmet-Tony-Williams-Tribute-set-for-1300-obo

plus the Reverb link (as long as it lasts): https://reverb.com/item/1897293-istanbul-mehmet-tony-williams-tribute-cymbals-2015

Last edited by a moderator:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zen, thanks for the ton of info! I've seen the vids before. Love both of those players.......will keep an eye out for used ones, too!

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Jazzdrumguy, I have a set in my shop, and I can assure you there are no cracks on those cymbals :). Amazing cymbals though. Particulary impressed with the ride and the hats. I just wish I could open the sealed envelope to see the TW pictures, but I just cannot do that to the eventual buyer of the set :)

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There must be something lost in translation from Turkish to english… CRACKS in Turkish translating to mean GROOVES or LATHING in English perhaps.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phew.....I feel a lot better about that! They seem very nice........thanks to all that replied. I'll add them to my used wish list......

R

RickP

The ride and the hihats are the special cymbals , the crash is nice but not in the same league as the ride and hihats . They are REALLY nice cymbals for sure . If you can afford them then grab them .

Z

zenstat

RickP said:
The ride and the hihats are the special cymbals , the crash is nice but not in the same league as the ride and hihats . They are REALLY nice cymbals for sure . If you can afford them then grab them .
bongomania said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Istanbul-Tony-Williams-Limited-Edition-Set-Cymbal-Cymbal-Set-/272223527060?hash=item3f61c96094:g:U1sAAOSwYmZXHkyY

Sold by Sam Ash. "An 18" crash delivers warm, fast attack and features a signature crack that acts as a built-in "attenuator" to accelerate decay."
Well well. Maybe the crash isn't all its cracked up to be then?

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
"signature crack that acts as a built-in "attenuator" to accelerate decay."

This could be the best sales pitch line ever.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No effin' way! Talk about truth in advertising!

And yes, apparently some tape is the wrong way to do it....so this weekend, I'm taking a chisel to all my precious pies!

sonusseeker

Reaction score
bongomania said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Istanbul-Tony-Williams-Limited-Edition-Set-Cymbal-Cymbal-Set-/272223527060?hash=item3f61c96094:g:U1sAAOSwYmZXHkyY

Sold by Sam Ash. "An 18" crash delivers warm, fast attack and features a signature crack that acts as a built-in "attenuator" to accelerate decay."
...???...none of the TW mehmet cymbals that i looked at had any cracks...

...another question: you would think TW would have hundreds of cymbals, why focus only on the cracked ride?...lastly, the youtube videos of TW's famous songs show that he used rides with rivets (at least the ones i saw)...was the cracked ride the actual cymbal used on the famous recordings?...

Funktosterone

Reaction score
Lol! "Signature crack sound". Good one.

I owned a set briefly. The only reason I sold them was because they were the wrong sizes for my taste. They were absolutely beautiful cymbals and by far the best cymbals I've ever heard / played by Mehmet. The pitches blend so well together and create this harmony that just draws you in. And there was no "signature crack" and any of the cymbals. The 18" may have been hammered to sound like Tony's original cracked cymbal.? I dunno. I do know that the set (if in excellent condition) is worth every penny of that price. The hats and 18" were my favorite pieces out of the set.

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I apparently have one with the wrong crack. The built in attenuator isn't accelerating the decay fast enough. No mention of this problem when I got it and it's really starting to bothering me now. It doesn't even sound like Tony and has become such a distraction it's nearly impossible to get through a gig using it. Even the accordion player noticed. On the last gig she turned around in the middle of "Four" and said "Dude...where's the f**king Tony vibe?...damn it!!!...I can't solo with that mess going on behind me!"

I need to hang onto this gig. Is there any way I can get the crack adjusted back to the factory specs?
Thanks in advance.

Woody85

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to playing a set today. Didn't see any cracks anywhere. Cymbals sounded pretty good to me but I don't think I'll be replacing any of my current cymbals with a set. I was a bit surprised with how "clean" they sounded. Was expecting the ride to be a bit less polite.