header.nohb.html

It’s LudVig, you morons! DCP voicemail

CigarScott

Reaction score
This reminds me of a very early episode of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives where guy ask the owner a Greek restaurant how to pronounce "gyro". The owner said, pay me the $5 for the gyro and you can call it whatever you want.

I was in German class/club in high school and chose Ludwig as my German name, for obvious reasons. It is technically pronounced lood-vig but I think even in interviews, the Ludwig decsendents pronounce it as lud-wig.

Last edited:

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
Pronunciations in the US are tricky. There is the 100% correct way to pronounce something in it's original language, and then there's how the "owners" of the word pronounce it. There's a road in my town called Chiesa. Chiesa is Italian for "Church". In Italian, that's pronounced "key-ay-sa". But the family in which the road was named after was Swiss in origin, but fully American. They pronounce it "Kay-zee". So probably a mispronunciation of a mispronunciation. So which is right? Old timers in the town insist it is "Kay-zee" out of respect for the family who pronounced their own last name that way. Google maps pronounces it the Italian way. Everyone else sounds like an idiot and calls it "Cheez-a".

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
How did Buddy Rich pronounce it?

:p

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
Slingerland.
1668888827462.gif

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Obviously, it was originally "Lood-vig" when the family emigrated from Germany. However, many German family names were changed in pronunciation due to the nationwide anti-german sentiment during WWI.
It was during this time that the "Frankfurter" became the Hotdog.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always thought the correct pronunciation of "Sonor" was "Suh-NOR." I usually hear people here in the USA say "SO-nor" or, inexplicably, "Sonar".

Reaction score

Wow.
Guitar players are so smart.

CigarScott

Reaction score
I always thought the correct pronunciation of "Sonor" was "Suh-NOR." I usually hear people here in the USA say "SO-nor" or, inexplicably, "Sonar".
If you watch their marketing videos, they pronounce it as Suh-nor but their own endorsers don't even pronounce it correctly. You would think that would be a condition of an endorsement deal... :)

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have always said Ah-vee-dis but if you watch Zildjian videos they say Ah-vid-das.

My own last name is usually misspronounced...at least according to how I was taught to pronounce it. So who is the final arbiter? Linguistic "experts" or the actual people whose names are attached to the products?

Last edited:

No.15

Reaction score
I have a weird name to pronounce in english. My first name is Sean (Shawn pronunciation)
So when I was in grade school I had a classmate named Seamus
When the teacher called role this is how it went

Seamus (Shaymus) he got that one. I was the next student
"Seen" :banghead: I never understood how they couldn't figure it out. Happened with multiple teachers :blink:

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t get me started how the Zildjians and Paul Francis pronounce “Avu-dus”
I grew up thinking it was pronounced “A-Vee-dis” but soon after I started working there I started pronouncing it “Ava-dus.” Not sure of the actual pronunciation.

CC Cirillo

DFO Master
Reaction score
I grew up thinking it was pronounced “A-Vee-dis” but soon after I started working there I started pronouncing it “Ava-dus.” Not sure of the actual pronunciation.
My father-in-law is named Avedis (Armenian from Beirut) and he would agree with your original take on the pronunciation.