It finally happened to me!

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got free drums! A Rogers Tower in 12/14/20
They need some serious cleaning up, there’s a spot of spray paint on the 14, and there are holes where the spurs were replaced, as well as two really unfortunately placed collets, and the badge on the 12 is missing.
Missing all resonant hoops and rods.
Shells and wrap are in great shape.
I also got a guitar to smash!

559E9D84-05DA-44E9-83F3-CBC4AA00AFB8.jpeg
E5A65BDD-BFAC-4D6C-8BC3-CA6FB3BD84F0.jpeg
2D62CD97-230B-4843-A0E5-09285A12DABE.jpeg
View attachment 454445

Last edited:

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phantom: Those two collet mounts on the top are cool...replace the collets with shiny new ones, and mount two cymbal rods......they will look like a 60s TV antenna!!
Is there anyone making repro collets?

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I agree. Give those shells a deep cleaning with Dawn, then polish like a madman with novus. they will look Great.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh hell yes!
Those are gonna be bad ass!

The before and after side-by-sides are going to be amazing.

Don't soak the drum or allow too much water to soak in, but a quick scrub with soapy water will be just fine as long as you make sure to dry them off with a towel and then allow them to dry somewhere for a while, with no heads.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh hell yes!
Those are gonna be bad ass!

The before and after side-by-sides are going to be amazing.

Don't soak the drum or allow too much water to soak in, but a quick scrub with soapy water will be just fine as long as you make sure to dry them off with a towel and then allow them to dry somewhere for a while, with no heads.
To the OP: You also might want to take a broom head and brush out as much of that crud and dirt and dust before the soap and water treatment. You might end up just wiping it deeper into the wood with the water. I'm sure those shells are dry as heck.

Great find!

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
should I worry about getting the shells wet?
I wouldn't do it.

I would vacuum the insides with a small stiff brush attachment to get all of the dust off. May follow that with a small scrub brush to work anything else free and vacuum again. I would use a soft brush attachment to gently remove as much of the dust as possible from the outside. I would then use a small amount of water and dawn on a damp rag to clean the exteriors. Wring the rag out often in a separate bucket of water. Once you have the insides vacuumed and scrubbed clean I would reassess what cleaner if any to use on the inside.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweet score! And for free??? My kind of buddy!

I'd take the hardware all off first. Get an old towel and dry wipe off the gunk/dirt all over the drums. Then use baby wipes (Costco) to give it a first round of clean, then use a micro fiber cloth barely damp from dipping in a hot water/few drops of Dawn bath, then reassess. Then if needed, hit the chemicals. I'd try to preserve the labels as much as possible, too, and not get them wet.

Is the hardware chrome or nickel? If chrome, give all pieces a Dawn hot bath for a few hours and get some cheap dollar store sponges (non-abrasive) and they will shine up pretty easily.

When I did my thrashed Luxor to "Powertone" tribute, I ended up making Rogers labels that were 90%+ correct looking. If you need help there, send me the #'s and I can find the template and print them up for you.....they are pretty close.

Looking forward to before and after shots!

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it.

I would vacuum the insides with a small stiff brush attachment to get all of the dust off. May follow that with a small scrub brush to work anything else free and vacuum again. I would use a soft brush attachment to gently remove as much of the dust as possible from the outside. I would then use a small amount of water and dawn on a damp rag to clean the exteriors. Wring the rag out often in a separate bucket of water. Once you have the insides vacuumed and scrubbed clean I would reassess what cleaner if any to use on the inside.
I’m not planning on treating the inside with anything, just what you described. Thank you for the vacuum idea, I didn’t think of that.

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweet score! And for free??? My kind of buddy!

I'd take the hardware all off first. Get an old towel and dry wipe off the gunk/dirt all over the drums. Then use baby wipes (Costco) to give it a first round of clean, then use a micro fiber cloth barely damp from dipping in a hot water/few drops of Dawn bath, then reassess. Then if needed, hit the chemicals. I'd try to preserve the labels as much as possible, too, and not get them wet.

Is the hardware chrome or nickel? If chrome, give all pieces a Dawn hot bath for a few hours and get some cheap dollar store sponges (non-abrasive) and they will shine up pretty easily.

When I did my thrashed Luxor to "Powertone" tribute, I ended up making Rogers labels that were 90%+ correct looking. If you need help there, send me the #'s and I can find the template and print them up for you.....they are pretty close.

Looking forward to before and after shots!
The hardware has so much crud, they look nickel, but I can’t be sure.

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I’ve cleaned up the 12 and 14’s shells as best I can with stuff at home, and it’s not looking too hot. Anyone have any recommendations for the paint? And anything to reverse the yellowing?
1B86767D-15F5-45B3-8EF8-B7F7A41E1AB8.jpeg
78058E76-B829-44DB-948B-3C0A96355C80.jpeg
088D133C-1939-4E7F-81BF-65BEA259A9DD.jpeg
D94CEBD1-3444-4C7A-9301-F9F571D50BF4.jpeg

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations for the paint?
yea I'd hold a rag soaked in prep-sol against it and gently coax (sing a lullaby if ya have to) gently gently coax it OFF : D
maybe a slight- soaked in prep-sol pad of #0000- steel wool to remind it scuff the paint) you mean BUSINESS
but back & forth, ever so lightly I believe that will come off.. like it was never there..
~
maybe a Dry Pad of #0000 SW will bring the inside of the shell(s) back to life) too
~
I dunno you just don't want to infect anybody with them when they're out in pubic errr public..

Last edited:

thestorysold

Reaction score
And anything to reverse the yellowing?
someone suggested using this on another forum so I gave it a shot recently: https://www.sallybeauty.com/hair/ha...VE7bICh2j6AhsEAYYASABEgK6V_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I brushed some on, used some saran wrap to cover it up so it wouldn't dry out, and left it in the sun for several hours. it's similar to 'retr0bright' I guess.

the results weren't as drastic as I was hoping, but definitely toned down the yellowing:

before:
IMG_8275.jpg

after:
IMG_8370.jpg