It finally happened to me!

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can play as is, and have a kit like Billy Martin’s. With these old ass heads, it sounds great. Can’t wait to get new heads all around.

577C41A5-D499-4745-91BB-5385CCDE84FD.jpeg

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sweet score! And for free??? My kind of buddy!

I'd take the hardware all off first. Get an old towel and dry wipe off the gunk/dirt all over the drums. Then use baby wipes (Costco) to give it a first round of clean, then use a micro fiber cloth barely damp from dipping in a hot water/few drops of Dawn bath, then reassess. Then if needed, hit the chemicals. I'd try to preserve the labels as much as possible, too, and not get them wet.

Is the hardware chrome or nickel? If chrome, give all pieces a Dawn hot bath for a few hours and get some cheap dollar store sponges (non-abrasive) and they will shine up pretty easily.

When I did my thrashed Luxor to "Powertone" tribute, I ended up making Rogers labels that were 90%+ correct looking. If you need help there, send me the #'s and I can find the template and print them up for you.....they are pretty close.

Looking forward to before and after shots!
Before:
4A2A0B67-3F46-4F4A-B9D7-C5CF2954E5AC.jpeg

After:
7DC0B915-2D55-4303-A65E-1791254FEB42.jpeg

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Phantom: I tip my toupe to you!! You did a fabulous job on those. They came out better than even I expected. But I need to say this.....Please get bottom heads and hoops for that set...its well worth it!! Make a real complete set out of it. I'd also get another bass drum hoop, and paint the wood of the one you have. Also, I'd love to see you mount the tom tom on the bass drum with a Rogers mount...they arent hard to find.
Go a little further with it...........that set is worth it!!

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Phantom: I tip my toupe to you!! You did a fabulous job on those. They came out better than even I expected. But I need to say this.....Please get bottom heads and hoops for that set...its well worth it!! Make a real complete set out of it. I'd also get another bass drum hoop, and paint the wood of the one you have. Also, I'd love to see you mount the tom tom on the bass drum with a Rogers mount...they arent hard to find.
Go a little further with it...........that set is worth it!!
I gotta get some more cash together for that but yeah, hoops, rods, cymbal and Tom arms are planned. I have one more tom mount, need one more and spurs to make em original, luckily there aren’t extra holes there.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I gotta get some more cash together for that but yeah, hoops, rods, cymbal and Tom arms are planned. I have one more tom mount, need one more and spurs to make em original, luckily there aren’t extra holes there.

You sir, are a "Steely Eyed Missle Man!!!" Well Done!! that set is going to be Great. Richard Delvy (of The Challengers) would be very proud of you!

Attachments

Last edited: