It is going to have to be OK

Angelo Zollo

Reaction score
Living Rurally, I am certain I will not play in a band again. It is going to have to be OK that I practice alone or to music in my library. I think it is truly over. I think I will be Ok with it.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Angie: I'm sure it feels that way...but today, with the internet, I am sure that there are musicians not too far from you that are just waiting for a good drummer to come along and jam with them. Persevere!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
talk to Ryno. He knows how to put together it Out in the desert..
thats a fact " best damn desert band in town"..

There's a 70 year old guy that plays fiddle like that guy that went down to Georgia guaranteed
Find him Angelo. Think outside the musical box you could assemble the no 1 band most requested.

Last edited:

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
i love practicing to music by myself. I can play to what i want and go from one song to the next. I dont have to sit for days while the geetar player adjust his equipment(music equipment) or the other guys try to remember how to play songs we just played 100 times. Or another guy the cant get enought to eat and needs more food breaks.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
..and you're in downtown L.A. is that correct 'Shifter?

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
talk to Ryno. He knows how to put together it Out in the desert..
thats a fact " best damn desert band in town"..
Thanks, Joe!

To be fair, though, Bakersfield proper has 400,000 residents and the county (Kern) has a ton more. Angelo, don’t give up hope. Gotta keep looking. It’s hard work to find dudes and/or dudettes to jam with, but they’re out there.

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
The only good thing about cities is gigs, and I'll be damned if I'm going to retire anywhere near one. so I'm going to have to come to grips with that same thing someday. My plan is to 100% give up every single professional musical pursuit (playing, writing, teaching) cold turkey, and just redefine myself as a former musician.

Stickclick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
At least you can practice without disturbing neighbors. There might be musicians near you. I imagine it's going to be hard to find gigs though.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only good thing about cities is gigs, and I'll be damned if I'm going to retire anywhere near one. so I'm going to have to come to grips with that same thing someday. My plan is to 100% give up every single professional musical pursuit (playing, writing, teaching) cold turkey, and just redefine myself as a former musician.
I doubt I play through the rest of my days , my enjoyment of drumming is waning anyway.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i love practicing to music by myself. I can play to what i want and go from one song to the next. I dont have to sit for days while the geetar player adjust his equipment(music equipment) or the other guys try to remember how to play songs we just played 100 times. Or another guy the cant get enought to eat and needs more food breaks.
(Music equipment)
Bwahahahaha!!!!!

dyland

Reaction score
If this is a result of your own decision making and careful consideration then all the power to you. If this is a result of how some band treated you or because of an audition not going well, then eff that. Regardless, do what's best for you and what will make you happiest in the long run.

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
I doubt I play through the rest of my days , my enjoyment of drumming is waning anyway.
It happens. Supposedly Gary Burton has been happy as a clam playing zero notes for several years.

HowardW

Reaction score
I haven't gigged in years. Middle age, growing arthritis and the pressures of a corporate job in the real world have cut into my practice time. There was a time that playing the rip from "Free Bird" was just a warm-up. Now it's an exhausting event.

But I didn't give up drums, I just changed course. I've spent a lot of time buying up old sets, cleaning/repairing them and reselling them. There's a good feeling in bringing an old abandoned set back to life, or combining orphans into a functioning set. I've sold several to local young musicians and they always comment about the difference of the vintage tone.

I've kept a few sets, too (weirdly enough, my GF likes to show the collection to her friends!) In my music room, two sets are always set up and playable. So I don't play "Ballad for a Girl In Buccannon" much but if the mood hits me I can pick up my sticks and play a Blues Brothers or two, or Woody Herman, or Kansas. Just depends on my mood.

So don't give up the drums completely if you don't gig anymore, just find a new way to appreciate it!