It's just an Acrolite....or is it????

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, that one.......for many, the "first snare" of many (if you're lucky!), for others not even worthy of a collection.....a simple, cheap aluminum 5x14 snare with triple flange hoops - really nothing special - but good enough for Matt Cameron to rock out with Pearl Jam! And sounds so fat for a 5".....wow! But it is NOT as it has no bead - so is it a Keplinger??? Ideas???

Last edited:
D

Drummer1990

Yeah "Just an Acrolite" my a$$ Matt Cameron just showed how versatile a Acro really is and it cut through that loud a$$ mix without issue... Unfortunately after a second glimpse it's not a Acrolite but I'm clueless as to what it can be. It has bowtie lugs though

Last edited by a moderator:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My point was even such a "basic" snare can support a top rock drummer behind a top rock band on a (likely) world tour!......and sound awesome! You don't need anything fancy schmancy........

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
It looks so much thinner compared to the 70s ones are you sure?
Also to clarify, Acros were not different sizes in different years. They did make a very short run of 6.5” ones in the old days, but they are rare; and they make 6.5’s today. But the shorter ones that are all over the place are all the same size across the years.

D

Drummer1990

Also to clarify, Acros were not different sizes in different years. They did make a very short run of 6.5” ones in the old days, but they are rare; and they make 6.5’s today. But the shorter ones that are all over the place are all the same size across the years.
Okay I must be so used to 6.5 depth snares having huge snares all my life that I forgot what a 14x5 looks like.. I've become super blind and dumb not knowing how fat a 14x5 can still get... I think I'm gonna snare rack my Supraphonic 402 for a while an play around with my newly acquired 14x5.5 Acrolite black galaxy

D

Drummer1990

That's not an Acrolite. Acrolites have a center bead and the lugs would have the center notch. Looks like a Keplinger with Ludwig lugs.
Okay I'm not the only one that sees that now. I went back an watched video 3 times that is ludwig bowtie lugs but definitely cant be a acro as it has no center bead.. So you think it's a keplinger?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice video here - looks like the Keplinger is a 7x14 with tube lugs........so I still wonder about that "Fake-rolite"......I just can't imagine he would put bow ties on a non-Ludwig snare......???

D

Drummer1990

DOH!!!!!! Disregard my OP........but I suppose there is a SLIM chance it's a Standard matte finish with bow ties, though.......
Rhythm magazine did a kit walkthrough of Cameron's kit it's a Yamaha Oak Custom With Keplinger snares which he endorses. So the drum we thought was an Acro is in fact a keplinger. But yes why bowtie lugs on a 14x5 keplinger is beyond me..

Heres video link

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's definitely a Steel Keplinger - there are a lot Keps out there with Ludwig Bowtie lugs. I asked Gregg Keplinger install them when he built up mine. Acros are great - I really like mine, but it can't touch my Keplinger...

glynch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Rhythm magazine did a kit walkthrough of Cameron's kit it's a Yamaha Oak Custom With Keplinger snares which he endorses. So the drum we thought was an Acro is in fact a keplinger. But yes why bowtie lugs on a 14x5 keplinger is beyond me..

Heres video link

In this video he says they call that snare the "side hatch" because it has snares that run off to the side rather than down the middle. Wonder how that works?

D

Drummer1990

In this video he says they call that snare the "side hatch" because it has snares that run off to the side rather than down the middle. Wonder how that works?
I can't answer that as I'm not too familiar with Greg Keplinger's snare drums :( they do sound amazing though