Its not every day these pop up .... 4ply Superclassics

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting. I think they almost always are seen in deep sizes (12x11, 13x12, 14x13). The peak of the power tom era.

A friend of mine recently ran across one of these in black wrap and bought the 4 pc kit (12,13,16,22) with a low end snare for $200. Even came with starter B8 cymbals and some hardware. Quite a score. He wasn't sure what he was looking other than it was Ludwig, looked good, and the kick drum had 20 lugs. I told him to buy it. After more research on it we figured it out it was the 4 ply super classic.

Ks Ludwig super classic.jpg

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Those were dark times at Ludwig. The super classics were what Neil Peart selected in his drum shootout when he was trying to find the best sounding drums to replace his red Tamas. The shells were great but most of what you see are drums with way too many lugs and the Pearl wannabe Modular pipe mounts. If you can find them in standard sized with the traditional number of lugs and the classic mounts they will be great drums. Otherwise they will be less than what they could have been because of all of the extra metal bolted to them and the tone killing mounts.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I had a six ply classic set I ordered brand new for my high school graduation in the summer of 1990. It was WMP and while the wrap ended up being crap as it shrunk and cracked, the drums themselves sounded great. I even had the modular mount for the on tom I had and I never had any issues with choking or tone kill. On the contrary that tom sang quite a bit. I loved the set but I just wished the wrap was much better.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an 8x12 super classic in blue shadow that I think was a NAMM display tom, large classic lugs and no tom mount. I use it with an Inde BR3. It was almost an identical match to my other drums in my set....and really made me wish I had gotten the 4 ply instead of 6 when I got mine in 93

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with deep shells?
SC's came out in '88. It was that time.
You can get some really nice sounds out of a deep shell.
The 80's were a great time to be alive. If you were there, don't ignore it, Embrace It! :headbang:

Elvis
The only thing I find wrong with them is positioning because I'm only 5'8". I need to use an 18' bass drum to position 12x10 and 13x11 toms where I like them.....and that would be ridiculous

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
The great thing about drums is that with a small change you can make any kit your own personal space.
I'm not much taller than you, ickybaby, and I used to have an issue with deep shells, too....but eventually, I got used to it....however, its ok to like short shells, too. =)