It's RotoTom Tuesday!

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Today's project is a quad of RotoToms I bought local on EBay Marketplace pre virus. Spent about 6 hours today washing and polishing... man, these were pretty dirty, but are looking real good! These are the old school RotoTom's with the carriage bolt that has a flattened profile to fit the solid bar stock aluminum track system (pre-slotted track). These are 10", 12", 14" and 16" and are the black enamel Tom's, which they offered back in the mid to late 70's. They also have RIMS mounts for each drum with Pearl Tom arm brackets. The heads are pretty good on them too and have lots of life left. Unfortunately, the upper decals are missing on the 14", 12 & 10", but the decals are present on all lower rims. I will be putting these up for sale as soon as I have them ready.

IMG_20200728_142514826_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20200728_142701324_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20200728_142603489_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200728_142624464_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited:

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
GREAT SIZES! I always see 6, 8, 10. I hope you didn't pay 2 arms and a leg. One arm and one leg, ok! Lol

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Like any other drum. the RIMS mount don't interfere with the tension rods at all. They free float in a rubber grommet.
Yes I understand that part but tuning roto-toms isn't generally done with tension rods. I'll assume you take them off the stand and rotate the top rim. I found myself a 10/12/14 set that are great.

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes I understand that part but tuning roto-toms isn't generally done with tension rods. I'll assume you take them off the stand and rotate the top rim. I found myself a 10/12/14 set that are great.
You can leave them mounted by the rims-style mount. Just get a wrench on the carriage bolt and tighten or loosen. Same as turning the rototom with the bolt stationary in the track.

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In general, when it comes to Roto Toms, I will screw the tension rods through the rim/head/RIMS into the bottom frame until the bottom of the rods are flush to the outside of the bottom frame first. Then I will thread the carriage bolt through until I get tension on the head with the upper frame, finding the pitch that is close to what I want. From there, I will fine tune with the tension rods only. I never spin the Roto Tom on the carriage bolt to tune.

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ah yes, Roto-Toms. These are mine. I'm the original owner. I found after 4 different head swaps over the years, I found Aquarian Classic sounded the best IHMO. YMMV.
20190915_124956.jpg
20190915_125044.jpg

chrisr777

Reaction score
I've found that my Roto is great to add to a backline kit.

Along with my smaller rack toms.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In general, when it comes to Roto Toms, I will screw the tension rods through the rim/head/RIMS into the bottom frame until the bottom of the rods are flush to the outside of the bottom frame first. Then I will thread the carriage bolt through until I get tension on the head with the upper frame, finding the pitch that is close to what I want. From there, I will fine tune with the tension rods only. I never spin the Roto Tom on the carriage bolt to tune.
All very well and coolio.....roto's rock....I have two "sets".... Mine use a Collarlock mounting system that Mark made me way back in the mid '80's that I still use. I have a set of 8,10,12,14,16 with black spokes and 14 and 18 in chrome. The black ones are used for toms and the chrome ones are used like small tympani.
However the (rims mounts) sort of defeats the premise of what a roto tom is and now they would be a shell less tom tom rather than a roto tom.
No biggie if one isn't into the tympani like quality of turning the roto's for tuning on the fly etc.
The issue of course is the carriage bolt on the bar/track system and there have been a few threads here addressing this.
Other than that way way kewl!!!!
bt

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For real though, how'd they sound? Jazz context, I suppose?
They sound great but I don't use them for jazz. This was just a experiment. They're surprisingly resonant when recorded but I have my doubts about their ability to project much tone live without mics.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They sound great but I don't use them for jazz. This was just a experiment. They're surprisingly resonant when recorded but I have my doubts about their ability to project much tone live without mics.
Yeah. That's been my limited experience with them as well.
I enjoyed practicing on them, though.