ITT: Awful Sounding Drums that Make the Song

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The current music industry. That's why everything has had the timing quantized and had the life sucked out of it in protools if the drums were even played by an actual human being. Add the fact that the drum sounds might be samples so every hit will sound the same.

That's one reason I love old recordings more and more. They live and breath and hardly anything is perfect. They have life. The stuff today has no life and no soul.
I never said that. I actually prefer human music-flaws and all. However, this is just a poorly tuned drum. There is nothing charming to me with a drum that isn't tuned well and that distracts from the song. This drum sounds like crap to my ears. It stands out, but not in a good way.

I don't mind pedal squeak, pushing and pulling of tempos, etc.. Drums that are not tuned properly are about as charming as a guitar that is out of tune on a song where everything else IS in tune.

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
The current music industry. That's why everything has had the timing quantized and had the life sucked out of it in protools if the drums were even played by an actual human being. Add the fact that the drum sounds might be samples so every hit will sound the same.

That's one reason I love old recordings more and more. They live and breath and hardly anything is perfect. They have life. The stuff today has no life and no soul.
It is a drag but you have to look harder. I spend $120 a year on Apple Music and its a chore sometimes; but the music is out there. Don’t give up hope! The young drummers need us.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Can you give an example? I think of the huge library of great recordings on Blue Note, Contemporary, and Atlantic, and the drum sounds are universally fantastic.
CTI albums of the Seventies sometimes succumbed to the dead studio drivel sound. Not quite Jazz commercial Jazz / beginning of/ the start of)

In particular I remember plunking ^ money down for that one (1974) (and best of the worst one) to this day a semi-annoying drum sound

Last edited:

mebeatee

Reaction score
Way back in the day there was a place in Vancouver called Water St. Sound and, if I recall was the first all digital place in town that also had the worst sounding house drum kit but holy crap they sounded great.
It doesn`t matter what kind they were...two up, two down, although they were all single headed with standard coated ambo`s iifrc....but were covered in gaffers tape. I remember that part as it was known as the gaffer tape kit....they would change the tape before the head....
It was used in house on jingles and I only saw it in the storage closet which also housed the baffles for the kit. There was a certain room sweet spot so combining the micing and baffles the kit sounded amazing for it`s intended purpose. I put my kit in that spot and it sounded fine...we put up the baffles and then not so much....go figure.
This also works in reverse as I`ve had folks ask me to make the drums sound not so good. One can only conjecture....
bt

Tufty

Reaction score
There is one album with one of my favorite drummers of all time that I think has a pretty poor drum sound. Pat Martino's Joyous Lake. The drums, snare, toms and bass drum, all sound flat to me. No real tone. And I think that album has some of the best examples of Kenwood Dennard's playing. The only playing of his that I found to be better was with his band Highlife. Saw them at Seventh Avenue South, several shows. Woody, Delmar Brown, Darryll Dobson and Rael Wesley Grant. One of my all time favorite bands. Sadly, no recordings of those shows or studio recordings that have been released.
What happened to Kenwood? Haven’t heard anything of him in a long time.

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There is one album with one of my favorite drummers of all time that I think has a pretty poor drum sound. Pat Martino's Joyous Lake. The drums, snare, toms and bass drum, all sound flat to me. No real tone.
Yeah, it's a fantastic album, but very compressed. Could be a mastering issue... similarly, I always thought RTF "Romantic Warrior" sounded thuddy until I tracked down a Japanese remaster, and wow, what a difference. I wonder if there is a similar remastering out there somewhere for Joyous Lake.

Now that you mention it, there's another Pat Martino album - "Consciousness" - with Sherman Ferguson on the drums. Cooks like crazy, but the drum sound is about as choked as it gets:

MntnMan62

Reaction score
Yeah, it's a fantastic album, but very compressed. Could be a mastering issue... similarly, I always thought RTF "Romantic Warrior" sounded thuddy until I tracked down a Japanese remaster, and wow, what a difference. I wonder if there is a similar remastering out there somewhere for Joyous Lake.

Now that you mention it, there's another Pat Martino album - "Consciousness" - with Sherman Ferguson on the drums. Cooks like crazy, but the drum sound is about as choked as it gets:
If the drum sound is the same on the two albums either the same engineer was involved or it's what Pat wanted. I'm scratching my head though on your reaction to the RTF album. That may one of my top 5 of all time albums. I wore out my vinyl version and listen to it all the time. But I don't get a compressed sound at all. The toms all sound full and resonant. And the snare is a nice fat sound with some tone behind it. But your mention of the Japanese remaster means I now have to get it and see if I notice a difference.

Just listened to your link of Consciousness and the overall sound is so similar to Joyous Lake. Recorded two years apart at different studios with different producers. I'm guessing this was Pat's direction. Not all that different from Zappa who compressed the sheeet out of the drums starting with the later Vinnie years and well into the Chad years. Clearly Frank's stamp. I'm not a fan of all that compression. Let those drums ring man.

Last edited:

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
15829554618762802659976700270099.jpg

This is the one to get.
The remixes on the Anthology are also amazing, but for noticeably better mastering of the original mixes, get the SME release.
For people like me who think the album is so awesome, I reccomend getting both :)

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
How about Billy Vera and the Beaters “At This Moment”. Very raw, garage band drum sound to one of the hardest hitting, nostalgic soul tunes ever.

budrock

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
1st 3 Black Sabbath Albums (Bill Ward) .. Kind of fit the mood. they weren't "bad"; they were :rat rod"..and now are classic. no one's duplicated him or it since
There is a video of them during that period and he is thrashing away on a white marine pearl Slingerland set. He was a big Krupa fan. Video is From 1970. War Pigs. And he is beating the hell out of those drums. Cool, classic video.

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
There is a video of them during that period and he is thrashing away on a white marine pearl Slingerland set. He was a big Krupa fan.
and you can hear Him Tap the cymbals he used on first three album on Reverb.com auction listing thing (18" A Zildjians deep dark dusty orchestral sounding ones..many.

Last edited: