I've always liked the Ludwig keystone badge

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
But as I understand it when it was used the drums were made in Chicago and not Pa. Do any of you know the rational of how this badge was selected? Also were acrolites ever made with Keystone badges or did those come later? Thanks

thestorysold

Reaction score
I have always preferred the 60's era Keystone badges to the 80's+ style ones. although, the newer thick Monroe, NC ones are pretty cool. the 60's Acrolites have Keystone badges.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score

Gretsch "Owners had to "live" underground in "Pa" for many years"... (lol kidding.... ^v
..good thread..

I've no idea why Ludwig adopted the keystone..shape. Bet it's been discussed but will be nice to review the story..

Pennsylvania's essential role in the founding of the United States earned it the nickname, the “Keystone State.” The term “keystone” comes from architecture and refers to the central, wedge-shaped stone in an arch, which holds all the other stones in place.
I remember being told as a Kid if Pennsylvania was "taken" out the rest of states at least in that area east would collapse hence the architectural Keystone nickname

be interested to hear about Ludwig- maybe somebody's wife was from Pennsylvania?

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I guess "crooked" is a standard feature on the ones made in NC, Lol!!

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
That's an interesting question - my ex-wife, from PA, asked the same thing when she found out that Ludwig started in Illinois and later moved to North Carolina.

My two favorite badges ever are the vintage Ludwig Keystone badge and the vintage Gretsch round badge. Both feature lettering that is entirely embossed / stamped. Ludwig's recent reissue Keystone badge, while similar in dimensions to the classic one, is all laser-etched. The Gretsch reissue has stamped lettering for "Gretsch", and laser-etched lettering for the rest of the badge.
Ludwig does have a cast brass Keystone badge available that is really nice.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
William F. Ludwig Senior liked the look of the keystone shape as used as the logo of his favorite brand of motor oil. He adopted the shape for his drum badges when he started up WFL in the late 1930's. Simple as that.