I've been repeatedly watching the Larnell Lewis/Zildjian Live

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, you could almost even hear the drums in that recording.
Those crashes are annoyingly dry to me.

He's great, though.

How about that Dark Complex? And the stick toss at the end?

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Have you seen this fairly recent Drumeo lesson ?
I came across this video yesterday, after searching for ideas on how to improve my doubles. Searched here to see if it was discussed. I basically taught myself something that would be akin to "heel toe" many years ago before I ever heard that term. I've been unhappy with the eveness of volume between the two strokes and was wanting to make a change. The slide method, I always found difficult to control, and Larnell explains that's why he doesn't actually slide. His method, while moving back on the footboard to make the first stroke, actually picks up and makes the second stroke. The benefit here is that the first stoke has more power which evens out the volume, and picking up the foot to make the second tap gives him the precision he wants. That made so much sense to me, that I'm changing to this technique and never looking back. I've spent a few hours practicing this at different speeds with a metronome and this is a game changer for me. Speed will take a while, but it's going to be worth it.

Latest posts