I've got a PDP Concept Maple Classic Wood Hoop Bop set on the way.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a PDP Concept Maple Classic wood hoop bop set on the way. Being a vintage drums type of guy, I've been drawn to these since they came out but never pulled the trigger cause it always seemed to make sense/cents to find a vintage kit. Well, I'm getting tired of the flakes local to me selling vintage gear and buying used online isn't that great anymore with the general increase in shipping costs so when I saw this set at a great price I said what the heck and jumped on it. This is only the 2nd set I've bought new for myself and the 1st in 25 years.

Ideally, I would have liked to pick up the 24, 13, 16 set but went with this set so I can use it for smaller places and if I like it, I will most likely pick up the 24" set in the same color when I see another deal so I would have a 12, 13, 14, 16, add an 18 floor, 18 bass, and 24 bass to have as a shell bank.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
AWESOME!!!
So glad for you. These are such warm sounding kits. You will like it.

I have 22b,24b,12,13,14f,16f kit in the natural maple with the walnut hoops.
I will be most likely parting with the 24 bass soon. It’s a spare. Let me know if you want to save a few bucks and I will make it available to you provided it’s the correct finish.

Man, these kits are just so sweet sounding. That 14f is going to blow your mind.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cool! That is the same finish I'm getting.

I'll let you know on the 24" after I get the set and play it a bit. Might allow me to go after that 26" set and still have a 24". My wife is going to kill me :)!

Beefsurgeon

Reaction score
Looks like there are some good deals on these right now.

Sweetwater has the natural maple for $499. Cascio has the black one in their outlet for $529. Looks like Cascio also has a 20% discount code right now--might have to call to use it with PDP though.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a PDP Concept Maple Classic wood hoop bop set on the way. Being a vintage drums type of guy, I've been drawn to these since they came out but never pulled the trigger cause it always seemed to make sense/cents to find a vintage kit. Well, I'm getting tired of the flakes local to me selling vintage gear and buying used online isn't that great anymore with the general increase in shipping costs so when I saw this set at a great price I said what the heck and jumped on it. This is only the 2nd set I've bought new for myself and the 1st in 25 years.

Ideally, I would have liked to pick up the 24, 13, 16 set but went with this set so I can use it for smaller places and if I like it, I will most likely pick up the 24" set in the same color when I see another deal so I would have a 12, 13, 14, 16, add an 18 floor, 18 bass, and 24 bass to have as a shell bank.
Congrats on your latest grab! :thumbup:
I understand those are not half bad drums.
I remember a guy I knew once bought a Ludwig Classic Birch in bop sizes, like you did.
He liked it. Raved about it. I told him, if he liked that, check out Classic Maple and he'd be blown away.
He didn't believe me.
As time went on, he found the 18" bass drum lacked a littlee oomph in certain situations.
His solution was to simply get another, larger bass drum.
.....26x14....Classic Maple.
He was blown away at the sound....all I could say was, "told you so".
However, the point of this little fable is that you could make due with just a second, larger, bass drum, if you feel its needed.
18 can do a lot more work than I think a lot of people think it can, but situations could arise where you too will find the need for a little more oomph.
...btw, he filled all gaps with a 14x8 snare drum.
It was a cool little setup.

Ludwig_ClassicBirch_01.JPG

Ludwig_ClassicBirch1214Toms_ClassicMaple24x14BD.JPG

...if you'd rather do a 24 or a 22, I think it will suffice. =)

Elvis

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your latest grab! :thumbup:
I understand those are not half bad drums.
I remember a guy I knew once bought a Ludwig Classic Birch in bop sizes, like you did.
He liked it. Raved about it. I told him, if he liked that, check out Classic Maple and he'd be blown away.
He didn't believe me.
As time went on, he found the 18" bass drum lacked a littlee oomph in certain situations.
His solution was to simply get another, larger bass drum.
.....26x14....Classic Maple.
He was blown away at the sound....all I could say was, "told you so".
However, the point of this little fable is that you could make due with just a second, larger, bass drum, if you feel its needed.
18 can do a lot more work than I think a lot of people think it can, but situations could arise where you too will find the need for a little more oomph.
...btw, he filled all gaps with a 14x8 snare drum.
It was a cool little setup.

View attachment 427431
View attachment 427432

...if you'd rather do a 24 or a 22, I think it will suffice. =)

Elvis
Yeah that's a cool set!

I have a Yamaha EAD10 I bought on a whim but really haven't needed it yet so maybe I can get the little extra oomph with the bass triggered?

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
AWESOME!!!
So glad for you. These are such warm sounding kits. You will like it.

I have 22b,24b,12,13,14f,16f kit in the natural maple with the walnut hoops.
I will be most likely parting with the 24 bass soon. It’s a spare. Let me know if you want to save a few bucks and I will make it available to you provided it’s the correct finish.

Man, these kits are just so sweet sounding. That 14f is going to blow your mind.
I'm looking forward to that 14" floor tom.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Yeah that's a cool set!

I have a Yamaha EAD10 I bought on a whim but really haven't needed it yet so maybe I can get the little extra oomph with the bass triggered?
Triggering would denote a PA.
If you have one available, you're fine just using the 18.
Is the BD on a riser?
If not, get one. It'll put the beater dead center and you'll get that deeper, thuddier sound you're probably looking for.
...and yes, triggering your BD could help give it the extra oomph, if you do it right....a 4" hole in the center of the front head will give the drum a little extra power, too, since you'll catch the attack of the beater hitting the head better than with an offset hole.

Elvis

zlron

Reaction score
I have the 18 12 14 in dark brown stain with light wood hoops. Its a great sounding kit with that vintage vibe. Love it you can't go wrong

Latest posts