I've started trading kits lately with my local drum shop

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love my local drum shop and noticed he's been getting a lot of used gear lately. I asked him why. He said he still sells quite a lot of new kits but they're getting harder to get due to supply chain issues. Many customers don't like waiting... He likes dealing with used kits, especially kits that he's not a dealer of. So, I started trading higher end kits with him to get new things for me. Two that came to mind was my Ludwig Maple Legacy kit I traded for two new Yamaha AHM bass drums I added to my shell pack. Also, a deal that was just made, my maple Craviotto kit for a new Tama Star Walnut kit in sizes that would be more useful for me (the Craviotto kit was a 24/13/16).

Also, to me , the biggest benefit doing this is the ease. No more shipping. Since my C&C kit got trashed by FedEx with no claim approved (believe me, I tried and appealed their denial three times), I've shipped no kits. Hell, even my local drum shop gets his kits damaged all the time by both carriers. So, if I can work a deal with him, done!

gbow

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's great Dan, keeping it local. I wish I could do the same but sadly here in the boonies, there aren't any shops.

So I have to rely on finding what I want and shipping, and yes it's a big issue some times.

gabo

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
And even if your tubs don't get damaged, the new, higher-than-ever shipping prices make easy-trading through the mail very much unaffordable.

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
The Crav is gone?! Cool that you’ll get to check out the Star Walnut.

afwdrums

Reaction score
The Crav is gone?! Cool that you’ll get to check out the Star Walnut.

Dubs already has them up for sale

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Preaching to the choir Senior . I get what you are doing and I have done the same .
That was IMHO a smart trade you made for the Tama Star Walnut . You will get more use out of the Tama than you would with the Craviotto .

Murat has been great offloading my kits or even taking them in trade to something gbhe has in stock . I traded my 24/13/16 N&C Horizon kit for a 20/12/14 Sonor Vintage series kit last year . I loved the 24-13/16 but the opportunities to use use it were too few and far between . I use the Sonor Vintage all the time and have added on a 10” tom and 5.75” snare . It might be my favourite set of drums now .

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Dubs already has them up for sale
"...Warm, dry tone...with a classically open attack."

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dubs is in my neighborhood. I might think up a good trade and see if they’re into it. Seems like a good approach to move a kit that’s really good but not quite my cuppa.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Dubs is in my neighborhood. I might think up a good trade and see if they’re into it. Seems like a good approach to move a kit that’s really good but not quite my cuppa.
Say hello to Darren for me.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
Having owned a drum shop for ten years, I applaud Dan -- shop Locally!!
It's hardly a new idea, though.
I had many customers who routinely traded in drums, some so frequently it became comical.

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
Dan great info. Shot them an email to see if they are interested in some old Sonor. Shipping, fees, 1099s it’s gotten very hassle ridden to sell stuff. I would love a better option to move some things on other then GC of Concord. Thx

Mapex Always

Reaction score
I love my local drum shop and noticed he's been getting a lot of used gear lately. I asked him why. He said he still sells quite a lot of new kits but they're getting harder to get due to supply chain issues. Many customers don't like waiting... He likes dealing with used kits, especially kits that he's not a dealer of. So, I started trading higher end kits with him to get new things for me. Two that came to mind was my Ludwig Maple Legacy kit I traded for two new Yamaha AHM bass drums I added to my shell pack. Also, a deal that was just made, my maple Craviotto kit for a new Tama Star Walnut kit in sizes that would be more useful for me (the Craviotto kit was a 24/13/16).

Also, to me , the biggest benefit doing this is the ease. No more shipping. Since my C&C kit got trashed by FedEx with no claim approved (believe me, I tried and appealed their denial three times), I've shipped no kits. Hell, even my local drum shop gets his kits damaged all the time by both carriers. So, if I can work a deal with him, done!
I would never trade in a Craviotto drum kit for a “fill in the blank” …. To be honest I wouldn’t trade any drum set , the more drum sets up and running the merrier that place of existence will be :) And 24” bass drums are special! …. But you will absolutely LOVE that Tama Star ,,,, enjoy!!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I would never trade in a Craviotto drum kit for a “fill in the blank” …. To be honest I wouldn’t trade any drum set , the more drum sets up and running the merrier that place of existence will be :) And 24” bass drums are special! …. But you will absolutely LOVE that Tama Star ,,,, enjoy!!
I've never been a collector. Do I have a lot of nice kits? Hell yeah. And I play them all. With Crav's, I already have three kits with the Crav 24/13/16 configuration (the AHM's, the CC's and my JM's) so a lot of duplication there. Bottom line, I wasn't using them much. So, I decided to get another kit where I know I'll be able to use in both my bands. And I don't current have a walnut kit which I've been interested in for a while. So, done deal. The trade worked for me. As I wasn't suggesting it for anyone, it works me.

Mapex Always

Reaction score
I've never been a collector. Do I have a lot of nice kits? Hell yeah. And I play them all. With Crav's, I already have three kits with the Crav 24/13/16 configuration (the AHM's, the CC's and my JM's) so a lot of duplication there. Bottom line, I wasn't using them much. So, I decided to get another kit where I know I'll be able to use in both my bands. And I don't current have a walnut kit which I've been interested in for a while. So, done deal. The trade worked for me. As I wasn't suggesting it for anyone, it works me.
And that’s what matters …. Why not much playing time on such a special instrument , you could always enjoy it at home no? Your blessed either way ,, but “for me” the statement remains … no way would I let that baby go ,, although what your bringing in is nice!

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
And that’s what matters …. Why not much playing time on such a special instrument , you could always enjoy it at home no? Your blessed either way ,, but “for me” the statement remains … no way would I let that baby go ,, although what your bringing in is nice!
He has another steam bent kit on the way as well , right Dan ??

owr

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll probably get flogged a bit for this, but it is a little unfortunate to see what that Craviotto is being advertised for, given what it sold for here. As another somewhat local who was in the market for a 13/16/24 at time I almost grabbed that kit as well when it was sold here, so the memory is fresh. With that said, I know the original seller had a hard time getting rid of it (hence the low price) and I believe if I recall correctly you drove some way to pick it up. So I totally get the convenience of trading it into your local shop, and appreciate they need to make a profit to stay in business. I guess the downside of the middle man is that good deals can't get passed on as easily. Apologies for the critique, proceed with the flogging.