I've started trading kits lately with my local drum shop

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When I was young and broke with little kids and a mortgage, I did straight up trades with my local music stores to get new drums. I doubt that I ever really came out ahead in the deals, but it was a way to get new drums without spending money I didn't have.

I traded my Ludwig stainless steel set for a set of North drums, and then a few years later I traded the North drums for a new set of Ludwig drums that a local music store had been trying to sell for years. I was happy with the trades, so I guess it worked out.

Reaction score
Love those shops.

Here we dont have that anymore in our area.

The one big shop only does trade ins if you pay extra, and expect either a good payment or undervalue the item you hand over. The other two bug name shops don’t even do trade-ins.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll probably get flogged a bit for this, but it is a little unfortunate to see what that Craviotto is being advertised for, given what it sold for here. As another somewhat local who was in the market for a 13/16/24 at time I almost grabbed that kit as well when it was sold here, so the memory is fresh. With that said, I know the original seller had a hard time getting rid of it (hence the low price) and I believe if I recall correctly you drove some way to pick it up. So I totally get the convenience of trading it into your local shop, and appreciate they need to make a profit to stay in business. I guess the downside of the middle man is that good deals can't get passed on as easily. Apologies for the critique, proceed with the flogging.
For me, shipping is no longer an option for me as I was stung so bad with my previous incident that cost me north of $1300. So, I chose to go the easy route, It's his kit now and he can sell it for whatever he wants as he's just trying to keep the lights on. Honestly, I would've contacted you first had I remembered. Sorry about that. I should've posted on here about selling local and that probably was the way to go. That's the problem with being impulsive which I am as you all know...my apologies.

Reactions: owr

owr

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
No apologies necessary Dan, sorry if I lead you down that route. I don't think I ever made it public that I was interested in the kit, so no way for you to know. I also ended up scratching that itch by getting a Sugar Percussion kit made for me here in SC, so wouldn't have been in the market for yours.

I'm not sure exactly why I posted, perhaps just a commentary on the conversation you started. There are lots of good aspects for both parties, I guess I was just pointing out the potential downside for whomever ends up picking them up. I totally get your motive, and am thrilled if this helps a local shop survive. If anything I'm considering reaching out to Dub's and driving up with a car full of stuff I'd like to sell but don't have the patience for... It is work to sell stuff, especially large high end items, and anyone putting in efforts to get that done deserves some revenue on the deal.

I'm also noticing that I've joined 3 conversations here today and stirred up some grief in all 3. So maybe I'm just having one of those days... Congrats on the easy deal and the new kit!

For me, shipping is no longer an option for me as I was stung so bad with my previous incident that cost me north of $1300. So, I chose to go the easy route, It's his kit now and he can sell it for whatever he wants as he's just trying to keep the lights on. Honestly, I would've contacted you first had I remembered. Sorry about that. I should've posted on here about selling local and that probably was the way to go. That's the problem with being impulsive which I am as you all know...my apologies.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
Dan, glad to hear it is working out, I have been doing that with DCP for awhile and it has worked out great, I either trade, or put a kit on consignment, no shipping, no hassles, and no sales tax to boot.
shipping prices have gone way up....and like you said if there is a problem....ouch !

Something to be said for instant gratification and no headaches. Thats worth real $$

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The local Music stores are going to need inventory this year . Many of the Manufacturers are quoting ridiculous lead times . These shops will be far more open to taking drums in trade or consignment now . Personally I find it incredibly time consuming to sell kits theses day what with the ridiculous low ball offers , scam artists and the obscene shipping charges . I far prefer to take a kit to my local shop and let him sell it for me . We agree on what my bottom line is and they can have whatever they can get on top of that .
In some cases I have just swapped something for something in stock if it is agreeable to both parties .
I believe that you're a Michigander, as am I. Do you have a favorite shop in-state that you like to trade with?

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When I was young and broke with little kids and a mortgage, I did straight up trades with my local music stores to get new drums. I doubt that I ever really came out ahead in the deals, but it was a way to get new drums without spending money I didn't have.

I traded my Ludwig stainless steel set for a set of North drums, and then a few years later I traded the North drums for a new set of Ludwig drums that a local music store had been trying to sell for years. I was happy with the trades, so I guess it worked out.
Ot-but how big was your North kit and do you still have any pictures?

Mapex Always

Reaction score
It was a single bass outfit with four toms mounted on a rack and a floor tom, in fire engine red.

No pictures. It was a neat set, wish I still had it.
Your last sentence …. Leads me to my “thought” , not toward you or anyone , just in general …. I hope this reads correctly or comes out rite , prior to this forum , I was shocked people buy used equipment … from the “Stereo 2 Channel” world , you got tobe the “first” to ever open the box , the feel , the smell , the beauty , the OCD :) … new is everything , and know what your buying before you buy it , so you know you “want” it , have room for it tobe set up and played every day … even if you have ten kits , all must be up and running.

Now I’m in a total “twilight zone” ,, people are also “trading” kits … wow! Truly a learning experience ,, used and trade would never be for me , new and donate - yes , maybe I’m in some kind of “fantasy” land , but I now see the BEAUTY in this for others , buyers and sellers , for stores and even the drums themselves :) … great educational thread , kudos! From the outside looking in.

Thanks for that.

Mapex Always

Reaction score
You're saying it was Brand New? a brand new CP drumset? And who funded it.
Yes brand new under the CHRISTmas tree ,,, my first set was from Santa ,,,, I don’t believe Santa had to pay too much for a CP , they were relatively inexpensive brand new.

Reactions: JDA

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never traded drums for drums. I have traded drums only for audio gear. Bartered a duplicate kit for a lift-gate install on my Photo/video location truck. That's the extent of my trading experience.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe that you're a Michigander, as am I. Do you have a favorite shop in-state that you like to trade with?
Sorry I am a Canadian .
I deal with Mom and Pop shops . I hate the major chain Long and McQuades here .
I usually deal with Drummer’s Hangout (Aurora) ,
Drumland (Vaughan ) and Dave’s Drums (Ottawa) . All three owners are really nice people and need our support .

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry I am a Canadian .
I deal with Mom and Pop shops . I hate the major chain Long and McQuades here .
I usually deal with Drummer’s Hangout (Aurora) ,
Drumland (Vaughan ) and Dave’s Drums (Ottawa) . All three owners are really nice people and need our support .
Ah yes. Thanks!