header.nohb.html

Iyo who is the best bass player?

exliontamer

Reaction score
Bass was the first instrument I played that I'd call myself "good" at. Also how was McCartney only mentioned once and Bernard Edwards mentioned so late, and YES to whoever mentioned Derek Forbes!

Some of my faves...(also I know John Entwistle and JPJ are great...just not my thing)
*Paul McCartney - Come on! One of the best musicians/writers/musical brains ever on planet earth and a ridiculously creative cool bassist.
*Bernard Edwards
*Peter Hook - Seems like a butthead but he created a style
*John Taylor
*Derek Forbes
*Sting - Way underrated. McCartney-ish where his other talents overshadow his classy bass playing.
*Bruce Thomas
*Graham Maby
*Mark Adams
*George Murray
*Steve Harris
I'd better stop. I love a great bassist.

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For me it’s Jaco.

His playing on Joni Mitchell’s Shadows and Light Live concert from 1980 just floors me with every watch. And that’s completely discounting his bass solo on that one as I just didn’t care for it.
But his work throughout the songs are just mesmerizing, going places I couldn’t even dream up but they work so fluidly.

Also a big fan of Leland and his work with Phil Collins, Pino with the John Mayer Trio, and of course, Geddy on every Rush album.

All so good!

Reaction score
For me it’s Jaco.

His playing on Joni Mitchell’s Shadows and Light Live concert from 1980 just floors me with every watch. And that’s completely discounting his bass solo on that one as I just didn’t care for it.
But his work throughout the songs are just mesmerizing, going places I couldn’t even dream up but they work so fluidly.

Also a big fan of Leland and his work with Phil Collins, Pino with the John Mayer Trio, and of course, Geddy on every Rush album.

All so good!
Have you heard Jaco on Joni Mitchell's Mingus album? You'll love it if Shadows and Light floors you... Some of his most expressive playing.

stuart s

Reaction score
Bass was the first instrument I played that I'd call myself "good" at. Also how was McCartney only mentioned once and Bernard Edwards mentioned so late, and YES to whoever mentioned Derek Forbes!

Some of my faves...(also I know John Entwistle and JPJ are great...just not my thing)
*Paul McCartney - Come on! One of the best musicians/writers/musical brains ever on planet earth and a ridiculously creative cool bassist.
*Bernard Edwards
*John Taylor
*Derek Forbes
*Sting - Way underrated. McCartney-ish where his other talents overshadow his classy bass playing.
*Bruce Thomas
*Graham Maby
*Mark Adams
*George Murray
*Steve Harris
Love all your choices! I'm a drummer, I tried bass and guitar, went back to drums!! But I respect a good bass player and understand the drummer is better and gets better with a good bassist.

ps. Derek is so good, gets little credit

exliontamer

Reaction score
Love all your choices! I'm a drummer, I tried bass and guitar, went back to drums!! But I respect a good bass player and understand the drummer is better and gets better with a good bassist.

ps. Derek is so good, gets little credit

Those videos are so good! I like that he's a bit tipsy.

DB-66

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
These always rather turn into a laundry list, but one legend I didn’t see is Chuck Rainey. A name I didn’t see enough is Christian McBride. Some modern guys that should get a nod include MonoNeon, Omar Avital, Stephen Crump, and Henrik Linder.

Chris.H

Reaction score

*Bernard Edwards
*John Taylor
*Derek Forbes
*Bruce Thomas
*Graham Maby
*Mark Adams
*George Murray
*Steve Harris
Jaco!!!

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'll mention Trevor Dunn. Anyone who can hold it down the way he did at a young age with Mike crawling up his shirt and humping his leg is functioning on a high level.

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tony Levin on One Trick Pony with Steve Gadd on drums we’re right on the money . Not best but a perfect duo for Paul .

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I shy away from 'best' but surely one of the most amazing was James Jamerson...check out this isolated track of what became "Bernadette" from Motown