nice
never hit me that was the name of the band
or that it' wasn't a female vocal.
That and (the instrumental) parts remind me of Quicksilver Messenger ? Service

drummer didn't want to end it (lol

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One of my fondest memories is being present when that track was recorded at Randy Chowning's farm house near Springfield MO. I worked for Record Plant at the time, and had brought our remote truck to the farm for the basics ...... then got to assist Glyn Johns during the sessions. Man ............ !

We all knew this was a hit ....... even though the track was only in instrumental form on the 2" master tape; I seem to recall that there was a "guide vocal". The lyrics were completed and the final vocal recorded at Sunset Sound in LA when the mixdown sessions began. That's drummer Larry Lee singing his own composition ...........

One amazing thing happened during the recording of the basic: that night was stormy, with rain and thunder. we had set up a couple of (sheltered!) U87's out in the woods to record ambience, and right in the middle of the guitar solo, Glyn happened to raise the fader on one of the mics just as a ripping peal of thunder occurred .... perfect! It went on the tape that way, but appropriate as it seemed at the time, it did not make the final mix. But I always hear it in my head when I listen to the tune .........

Mike

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Most of the OMD guys are from 30 miles north of me. Pretty sad that Steve Cash (harmonica) died this past October. He was on all the big hits "If You Wanna Get to Heaven" "Chicken Train" etc. They're still touring on a limited basis. I haven't heard if they replaced Steve, but he was a big part of the OMD sound.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
One of my fondest memories is being present when that track was recorded at Randy Chowning's farm house near Springfield MO. I worked for Record Plant at the time, and had brought our remote truck to the farm for the basics ...... then got to assist Glyn Johns during the sessions. Man ............ !

We all knew this was a hit ....... even though the track was only in instrumental form on the 2" master tape; I seem to recall that there was a "guide vocal". The lyrics were completed and the final vocal recorded at Sunset Sound in LA when the mixdown sessions began. That's drummer Larry Lee singing his own composition ...........

One amazing thing happened during the recording of the basic: that night was stormy, with rain and thunder. we had set up a couple of (sheltered!) U87's out in the woods to record ambience, and right in the middle of the guitar solo, Glyn happened to raise the fader on one of the mics just as a ripping peal of thunder occurred .... perfect! It went on the tape that way, but appropriate as it seemed at the time, it did not make the final mix. But I always hear it in my head when I listen to the tune .........

Mike
I have always loved that song. It has such an incredible vibe and that slide guitar is just haunting. I have always wondered if they knew that it was going to be a hit. Now, you have answered that question! Unbelievable! Thank you!

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
I pulled out the first gig CD of Buddys, Duel Pursuit.
The recording is a little out of balance but the memories are there.
Buddy and guitarist were both D.O.'s,the sax player was a cranial manipulator, thats what i said,the female singers were a nurse and a drug rep,bass player owned a tire shop,go figure.
We did Doctor Events,cha ching! Mostly classic rock and OMD tunes.
The band was finishing their gigs up so i caught the tailend of that run.
Fun 3 months!

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cowtown Ballroom,saw several there.
Same timeline!
That place was awesome wasn’t it? I was just a lad of 13 or 14. Probably Danny Cox opening but I don’t recall. Also saw Ravi Shankar, Hot Tuna and Loggins and Messina w/ Leo Kottke there. Kottke melted my brain.
Did Stan Plesser manage OMD?

Last edited:

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Saw them at Cowtown Ballroom in KC in 73ish. Great show.

Never did make it to Cowtown Ballroom ......... But, Record Plant was at that time doing a lot of remote recording of the shows put on there (1972 - 1974 or thereabouts). One of my friends (also a drummer) who had the sometimes onerous task of sitting out in the cold truck and supervising the recording on a winter's night .......... came into the Sausalito Record Plant to sort through and rough mix some of the recent tapes he'd recorded in KC. He called for me to come in and listen to the drum tracks he'd soloed setting up the mix. It was Seals and Crofts ...... the song was "Ridin' Thumb" ..... and the drummer was a then very young Jeff Porcaro ...... first time I'd ever heard of him. I was blown away by his groove ........

Mike

Last edited: