Jammin Sam and Precision, same wrap supplier?

bamamule77

Reaction score
I recovered a kit about 6 years ago with a wrap from JS. I'm adding a few new drums in the same color and would like to use Precision (not sold on the tape option). Do they both use the same supplier for their sparkle wraps? I'd hate to have a slight difference in color bothering me for years to come.

S

skinsman

Precision will send you out a sample of whatever youre looking at.

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
It's not all Delmar, but yes, they supply the same materials for the most part. I do wonder what the source of new JS sparkles are from Barnard. Also, you can buy wrap from him without tape, it's not a requirement. He pushes tape IMO in the belief that the added ease of installation will boost sales. Tape's shorter lifespan likely promotes sales too. Glue lasts.

tnsquint

Backline Rental Guru
Reaction score
I agree with Floud on this. The standard wrap colors most are familiar with come from Delmar, however, Sam does seem to have another supplier for some of his other wraps.

My assumption regarding why Sam pushes the tape method so hard is that it is much riser to install. Therefore he has less headaches with customers that have screwed up. These days, a lot of customers assume that if they screw up, the vendor should somehow compensate them (I have no idea why that is) and I bet he has had plenty of those phone conversations; enough to decide tonpush the tape method pretty much exclusively.

bamamule77

Reaction score
I origanlly went with the tape method because I was afriad of screwing it up. It came out ok not great. Defiantly going glue this time around. Thanks for the info.

marko52

Piper At the Gates of Dawn
Reaction score
I got samples from both companies for their BDP finishes--they definitely had different versions. The 2 from Precision had a blue tint to them; JS's was closer to my '60's drums, but still not exactly the same...........marko

67Mopar

God Speed Jerry
Reaction score
marko52 said:
I got samples from both companies for their BDP finishes--they definitely had different versions. The 2 from Precision had a blue tint to them; JS's was closer to my '60's drums, but still not exactly the same...........marko
That could be different lots/runs. I dont think there is a wide variety of companies that make drum wrap, im pretty sure I read that Delmar supplies most wraps to end user, and resellers like Precision. I wonder what the ratio is these days to wrap vs lacquer, I seem to see at least a 50/50 if not better towards Fades, and Lacquer finishes.