Jan Hammer Group--anyone remember?

DrumLug

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There is a thread and video of someone doing 11/8. It brought to my mind, from the old days of 75'. Jan Hammer OH YEA! record. With Tony Smith on drums---First cut...Magical Dog in 11/8 .... Tony is kickin' 8's on the hi hat....truly a milestone ,following RTF on the jazz/rock scene of the mid-70's....!

drumaniac

DFO Star
Reaction score
Love Jeff Beck with Jan and DiMeola with Jan. Both had wild unison lines with the keys and guitars. Jan is also a pretty good drummer.

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
drumaniac said:
Love Jeff Beck with Jan and DiMeola with Jan. Both had wild unison lines with the keys and guitars. Jan is also a pretty good drummer.
MAN you are talking my language! Jan Hammer, Al Dimeola, Jaco Pastorius and Alphonse Mouzon on DiMeola's "Land of The Midnight Sun." One of the best three fusion albums of all time, along with "The Romantic Warrior" (Return to Forever) and "School Days" (Stanley Clarke).

The drummers are:

Steve Gadd
Gerry Brown
Lenny White
Alphonse Mouzon
Billy Cobham

It doesn't get any better than this! These guys are my idols, along with Jeff Porcaro, Rick Marotta and Bernard Purdie.

drumaniac

DFO Star
Reaction score
Don't forget Tour De Force Live - Al DiMeola

Jan Hammer
Al
Steve Gadd
Mingo Lewis
Anthony Jackson

Race wih Devil on Spanish Highway woooooohooooooooooooooooo ! !! !!! !!!! !!!!!

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like Jan's early albums. Wish there was some video of that band.

rudie

Reaction score
Elvin jones is on the mountain.

Elvin Jones
Jan Hammer
Gene Pearle

dave11772

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I saw him with Mahavishnu. And I had one of his solo albums - I think it was called "The First Seven Days" or something like that? Sort of his musical interpretation of Genesis (the bible version, not the band).

Good stuff.