"Japson" MIJ Drums

gutenberg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow, never heard of this badge before! Anyone have any info? (I realize they're Star/Hoshino-made.) Kit is at a shop in France

japson1.jpg

japson2.jpg

japson3.jpg

japson4.jpg

japson5.jpg

Ralf

Reaction score
Hello,

nice wrap! But it was not made by Star.
Maybe it's from the other Hoshino: Hoshino Kougyou.

Cheers,
Ralf

JimmySticks

Reaction score
Great looking kit and in great shape!

Some of those early Japanese kits really had some nice wraps, many which you couldn't get from the big American builders of the time. I've never heard of the brand, but there are well over 100 different names for these MIJ kits. This one looks pretty well built with a strong L arm BD cymbal mount and it even has grommets!

I'm curious, how much for the kit? Are the MIJs popular in France?

TR-808

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I bought this kit who was sell by a second hand drum shop near I’m living (Lyon in France). I didn’t know this manufacturer but a friend of mine have some star’s kits and said to me “go go that’s sound amazing”! I paid the kit 325€, very low price I think because the sound is really good. I already have played vintage Ludwig kits and I find the same sensations on my Japson. I’m very glad to get it.

JimmySticks

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I bought this kit who was sell by a second hand drum shop near I’m living (Lyon in France). I didn’t know this manufacturer but a friend of mine have some star’s kits and said to me “go go that’s sound amazing”! I paid the kit 325€, very low price I think because the sound is really good. I already have played vintage Ludwig kits and I find the same sensations on my Japson. I’m very glad to get it.
I think you got a great little kit there for a decent price.

These MIJs can sound really good. I went wild on mine and re cut the edges and put new stick savers hoops on and it sounds really good now and tunes up nicely. Yeah, there made of crappy luan wood, I get that, but if the edges are good and you put decent heads on them they can sound pretty great.

Beautiful wrap by the way! Good luck!

gutenberg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Congratulations! It's a cool kit for sure!