Jasper 8-Ply Shells

Glassman

Reaction score
Hello. Long time lurker, infrequent poster.

As the title suggests, I have a question regarding Jasper shells. I have it on good authority that the manufacturer of a small boutique line of snare drums out of California in the early 80s sourced 8-ply shells from Jasper. I have found almost no references to 8-ply Jasper shells.

Second, I have a Corder snare I picked up a few years ago and there are references to Corder using Jasper or Keller. At the time I received the snare I noted it does not have 6 plies and assumed it was a Keller shell. Looking back now and comparing the shell on the Corder to the shell on the other boutique snare, the plies look the same. I compared it to an early 80's DW with a 6-ply Keller shell and the construction of the Keller looks completely different.

I have been researching for a few weeks now and cannot find much of anything so I am hoping someone here can shed some light. Thank you.

Attachments

Glassman

Reaction score
I'm counting 7, not 8 plys.
There are 8 plies. The picture makes it hard to tell but there are plies of nearly identical color side by side that in the right light you can see it is 2 thinner plies and not 1 thicker ply.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
i'm thinking yeah that's jasper. I think Keller would be plies of maple only (though they did a few 'recipes')

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I agree those would probably be Jasper , Keller 8 ply as in Rogers xp8 shells were all maple plies during that era

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
These may all be maple plies, though. The orientation of the ply may show dark because of endgrain. Not saying that's the case, but a possibility.

Latest posts