JASPER DRUM SHELLS

miker

Reaction score
I'd like prices and sizes as well. PM me please!

Thank you!
Mike

Danzgroove

Reaction score
I had Jim Corder build my first set back in '90. I wanted to have the same sizes as my old Radio Kings. He made great drums, and recording with them and live show sound was amazing. Huge. My set was a 14x28-12x14-16x16-16x16 all Keller shells and a 6-1/2x14 snare that was a Jasper shell (?) It's my first post here, but I'll try to post a picture. I was always a Fibes fan so when I was looking for an endorsement, Corder was it. After Jim passed away, I stayed with Darwin after the sale, and even moved onto the newly re-formed Fibes after that.
If anyone saves their Modern Drummer issues, I would love to get a pic of my ad for Corder back in 1990. It will say 'Marc Danzeisen-the Riverdogs' on the ad. Just wanted to share, Thanks!

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Was it an ad like this one? This is in MD 1990 issue I have. I havent seen any other ads or your ad, but I thought this would at least be interesting

corder.jpg

drums147

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I still have these shells and will try to get pictures and info posted.

I have had some major health and personal issues over the last few years that have made life "difficult" . . .

Thank you and if other are interested I will be sure the info is on the selling page. . . . NAD

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Do you know what sizes you still have? I was talking to you (last year I think?) about some shells when I was putting this kit together. I found a 14" hanging floor tom but its a keller shell (corder/darwin). I have a 15" jasper shell I picked up through the forum as well.. BUT id be interested in anything else you might have, whenever you feel well enough to do so.
thanks!
ibes.jpg

Spongebob

DFO Master
Reaction score
nad_reese said:
I still have these shells and will try to get pictures and info posted.

I have had some major health and personal issues over the last few years that have made life "difficult" . . .

Thank you and if other are interested I will be sure the info is on the selling page. . . . NAD
NAD,

First, I hope your health is on the mend and your issues are a memory.

When you initially posted this stuff for sale, I expressed interest in the 18x16 Jasper shell you had. If still available, please contact me through PM and we can work the particulars from there.

Good to know you're doing well again! God speed.

Vibes

Reaction score
I was just at my high school reunion with Ken Corder a couple weeks ago and I was telling him how on the forums we still discuss the drums he and his Father and Brothers made. I used to teach at mr. Corder's music store and would go back to the big building in the back where they made the drums. I have a Fibes bass drum pedal I got from them I still use as my go to pedal to this day. I have Kens number, I will give him a call and find out just what they did use for their shells. I could kick myself for not having them make me a nice Bob set.

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Vibes said:
I was just at my high school reunion with Ken Corder a couple weeks ago and I was telling him how on the forums we still discuss the drums he and his Father and Brothers made. I used to teach at mr. Corder's music store and would go back to the big building in the back where they made the drums. I have a Fibes bass drum pedal I got from them I still use as my go to pedal to this day. I have Kens number, I will give him a call and find out just what they did use for their shells. I could kick myself for not having them make me a nice Bob set.
He can be contacted still through corder drum lugs: http://www.corderproducts.com/
I sent him a message last year asking about some clear corder drums that popped up online, and also asked him permission to use the original Corder logo for repop badges I had made for my kit . He was pretty excited that people still gave a crap about Corder drums, and said no problem on the badges too

fibes.jpg

Vibes

Reaction score
Yes, that's Ken's older Brother Don. He still makes lugs and was involved in a snare drum product I believe. Ken and I were in the same graduating class in high school. There is also another Brother, Gary. I have known and been friends with the Corder's for over 40 years. I bought my first Ludwig Hollywood set from Mr. Corder in 1971.he chose a Silver Sparkle set for me. Told me it would look great under lights.

little rock

Reaction score
The ply layup doesn't look very Gretsch-like to me...although I'm not close to being an expert. Spongebob is though so I guess I stand corrected.

Also...It was "Jasper Wood Products" not "Jasper Gretsch Shell Makers" so even if they made shells for Corder that doesn't necessarily mean they were made to Gretsch's specs. Who owned that particular shell "recipe" I wonder...Gretsch or Jasper? Japser may have made...or Corder may have requested an all maple layup, or maple and poplar, (like Ludwigs)or some other variation.
I always thought it was Jasper Furniture Co. I have a set of Fibes, not sure of the dates, but the OP told me the main kit, 22,12, 13, and 16 were Jaspers and the 10 and 14 were Kellers. I never questioned it. I think that was around 2001.

Pedal_Pusher

Reaction score
I worked for Mr. Corder in my misspent youth. He started out in the drum business as the Custom Clear Drum Company only doing acrylic shells. His 1969 patent (3435723) idea was for colored inserts to be placed in the clear shells. He also had a retail music store at the time. I saw the earlier comment about the fiberglass molds: "When they folded I think the people that run Fibes now bought back the molds" and have an opinion on that. The molds and most of the parts bought from Fibes were destroyed/damaged in a fire at the Huntsville Industrial Center ("HIC") building across the street from the retail store where they were first stored. The HIC building was a large former cotton mill. Mr. Corder had no intention of manufacturing fiberglass shells as far as I remember. We opened a new retail music store with a drum factory in the back on Triana Boulevard. We made wooden drums with both Jasper and Keller shells. You will have to check with Don Corder on the details of that. I remember they were very good sounding drums. The weak points in my opinion were the snare strainer (hard to adjust just right) and the strange spring loaded bass drum spurs, but they held up well. I still see them for sale and they are as good as sounding drums as the "major" brands. I remember most making the Rainbow jingle plastic shell headless tambourines. Don is a very talented machinist and makes great tube lugs.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's the first I've heard of that. Pretty sure they always made their own shells.
Read about it in Modern Drummer back in the day.
Ludwig was having a shell supply problem and used Jasper for a short while.