header.nohb.html

Jazz Albums - What are you listening to?

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I recently concluded that I've been neglecting far too much of my collection of albums, so I've taken to listening to one album per day in its entirety, until I work my way through my entire library. This was Tuesday's selection - and I might stay with it through Wednesday as well.

cannonball_things_cover.jpg

cannonball_things_credits.jpg

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I recently concluded that I've been neglecting far too much of my collection of albums, so I've taken to listening to one album per day in its entirety, until I work my way through my entire library. This was Tuesday's selection - and I might stay with it through Wednesday as well.

View attachment 578171
View attachment 578172
I should do that. Would keep me busy for the next few years anyway.

Polska

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
How are you listening to that album? Internet radio? CD? LP? Tape?

I bought the CD on Amazon, so I listen to the disc or stream it. They also give you a download version in Amazon Music when you buy from them.

Han

Reaction score
Based on a recent Jeff Ballard recommendation from @dustjacket a couple of weeks ago that was pretty great, I thought it might be fun for people to share an album that they are currently spinning.

So far for me this morning:
- Brian Blade Fellowship
- John Abercrombie “Timeless”

So, whatcha listening to???
HENRY THREADGILL - POOF youtube.com/watch?v=ThECxbgc5Dk
DAVID LEON - AIRE DE AGUA - youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kM9LXpWHkU6Ule3EXmZrW0Ru4wN1aAPK4
KRIS DAVIS - DIATOM RIBBONS - youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kHzKvgm26F3pr1s0tIeFQuM9HcyS_f1XA

Han

Reaction score
I find it somewhat disconcerting that the jazz fan/listening audience, and even the musicians, are for the most part looking backwards to the 1940's, 50's, 60's, and maybe early 70's
for music to listen to. The 1940's / 80 some years ago. The 50's / 70 some years ago, and on and on. Jazz/improvised music has continued to evolve, but you wouldn't know it by
looking to the media, young jazz musicians just out of college music programs, and jazz fans. Nostalgia, retro this and that, and branding/marketing has taken precedence.
I also find it ironic that the very musicians that get the most "play" from critics, college music programs, and fans, were ON THE CUTTING EDGE, and not looking backwards for
there roadmap for how to play or sound. Louis Armstrong said Charlie Parkers music sounded like Chinese music! Obviously Louis didn't know anything about Chinese music or
understand what Charlie Parker was doing. When John Coltrane evolved into a leading evolving voice of the music he was derided. Ornette Colman, Cecil Taylor, Miles Davis's electric
and later period were all thought of at least partially, in a negative light. That said the music evolved and grew and NONE of these artists were looking backwards to try and recreate
music from past decades.
There are thousands of new, creative, evolving, boundary pushing artists and music out there today, but it all flies under the radar, because there is no promotion of much of ant of it.
Even in non jazz circles, the regurgitation of old rock, blues, soul/r&b and other music has taken precedence.
This is truly unfortunate for the artists creating new sounds and ideas and for the culture at large.
When I find a Miles Davis recording where he's trying to sound like Louis Armstrong, a John Coltrane record where he's trying to sound like Sidney Bechet, a Jack DeJohnette recording where he's trying to sound like Zutty Singleton or Baby Dodds, I will reconsider what I've written. Until then I will bemoan the situation we find ourselves in and hope that a change in the culture, branding/marketing, and college music programs...(I really have my doubts about this one) is right around the corner.

PLAY ALL

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
I find it somewhat disconcerting that the jazz fan/listening audience, and even the musicians, are for the most part looking backwards to the 1940's, 50's, 60's, and maybe early 70's
for music to listen to. The 1940's / 80 some years ago. The 50's / 70 some years ago, and on and on. Jazz/improvised music has continued to evolve, but you wouldn't know it by
looking to the media, young jazz musicians just out of college music programs, and jazz fans. Nostalgia, retro this and that, and branding/marketing has taken precedence.
I also find it ironic that the very musicians that get the most "play" from critics, college music programs, and fans, were ON THE CUTTING EDGE, and not looking backwards for
there roadmap for how to play or sound. Louis Armstrong said Charlie Parkers music sounded like Chinese music! Obviously Louis didn't know anything about Chinese music or
understand what Charlie Parker was doing. When John Coltrane evolved into a leading evolving voice of the music he was derided. Ornette Colman, Cecil Taylor, Miles Davis's electric
and later period were all thought of at least partially, in a negative light. That said the music evolved and grew and NONE of these artists were looking backwards to try and recreate
music from past decades.
There are thousands of new, creative, evolving, boundary pushing artists and music out there today, but it all flies under the radar, because there is no promotion of much of ant of it.
Even in non jazz circles, the regurgitation of old rock, blues, soul/r&b and other music has taken precedence.
This is truly unfortunate for the artists creating new sounds and ideas and for the culture at large.
When I find a Miles Davis recording where he's trying to sound like Louis Armstrong, a John Coltrane record where he's trying to sound like Sidney Bechet, a Jack DeJohnette recording where he's trying to sound like Zutty Singleton or Baby Dodds, I will reconsider what I've written. Until then I will bemoan the situation we find ourselves in and hope that a change in the culture, branding/marketing, and college music programs...(I really have my doubts about this one) is right around the corner.

PLAY ALL

Please post your new artists. We would love to hear them, and I'm always looking for new talent.

Last edited:

kip

DFO Master
Reaction score
not LPs but i've been catching some great concerts on QWEST TV Jazz , Channel

concert w Brian Blade
a GREAT concert w Daniel Humair ( one of my all time favs)
lots of great shows!

Wheresmyroadie?

Twisted Loner
Reaction score
I've spent some time swimming through the thing they call Jazz these days.

Every so often I stumble upon a nugget: Nostalgia 77: