Jazz hi hats? What are you playing currently?

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
14 K. Istanbul Old Stamp thin top
14 K. Istanbul New Stamp medium bottom

And I really love these hats for Jazz that I’ve had since 91: 14 Sabian Hand Hammered Thin Dark.

Plus 1 to @kdgrissom on the Rogers Swivomatic Hi Hat Stand. The best!
Oh, let’s see a picture of those Sabians.

Biggsenator

Reaction score
For big band jazz, it is still hard to beat my 70s era 14" Zildjian A series New Beats. They're A's, yeah, but not as bright as a lot of the A series, as many on here know, and you need something a little brighter than K's or Sabian HH's, for instance, to cut through a horn section in my opinion. For small combo jazz, I am in love with...(wait for it)...Paiste (yes, Paiste) 13" Signature Dark Crisp hi-hats. Great, crisp (like the name) chick, splashes and open play with a lot of character and musical substance, and great stick definition on hi-hat swing ostinatos. The perfect small combo jazz hats in my opinion. A bit expensive, but worth it. Can't wail on them, though. They are truly jazz, not metal, hats. Also in my opinion, 15" hats are too big for everything except really loud rock and metal, and certainly for jazz. I don't own any hats over 14", and I play all styles. I would be interested to hear why there are a number who have weighed in on this question who have mentioned 15" hats. Surprising, but interesting. I would like to hear why, especially for jazz.

Last edited:

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right now I use a pair of '80s-vintage 14" A New Beats (928g/1277g) for everything, but I'm looking to add a set of 15" hats, either K Lights or Keropes to have a darker sound I can go to when it's appropriate.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want something lower-pitched than my 14" NBs. For jazz I have a gorgeous-sounding K Con Bounce ride that's low-pitched and a few lower-pitched crashes, so I'm looking for a set of hats in the same range, and the 15s I've heard on-line sound about right to me. Truth be told, my NBs would work fine for jazz, but WTF, there's no such thing as too many cymbals!

My sister has a set of '50s-vintage 14" A Zildjian hats that are amazing — thin and very "Jo Jones-y" sounding, but she isn't about to give them up.

Biggsenator

Reaction score
I want something lower-pitched than my 14" NBs. For jazz I have a gorgeous-sounding K Con Bounce ride that's low-pitched and a few lower-pitched crashes, so I'm looking for a set of hats in the same range, and the 15s I've heard on-line sound about right to me. Truth be told, my NBs would work fine for jazz, but WTF, there's no such thing as too many cymbals!

My sister has a set of '50s-vintage 14" A Zildjian hats that are amazing — thin and very "Jo Jones-y" sounding, but she isn't about to give them up.
Why not just some K or K Custom Dark Hats in 14"? Wouldn't they be just as dark as anything 15"?

Biggsenator

Reaction score

The reason I ask is that 15" hats just seem, dark or not, too heavy and loud for jazz. But maybe I'm wrong. Let me know how that works out.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason I ask is that 15" hats just seem, dark or not, too heavy and loud for jazz. But maybe I'm wrong. Let me know how that works out.
The 15" hats that I've heard speak with a deeper voice than just about any 14s. And loud is completely up to the player. I'm planning a trip to Pro Drum Shop tomorrow, so I'll report back if I buy anything!

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
The 15" hats that I've heard speak with a deeper voice than just about any 14s.
I guess part of this is that with hats, the sound is not only about the cymbals but also about the space in between, which creates resonance. Bigger cymbals-->more space-->lower resonance.

halldorl

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
14" Meinl Traditional Thin hats. Exceptionally sweet. Feel like a pair of great, old A Zildjians.

Ang

Reaction score
For dedicated Jazz set-up, 15" Keropes, for jazz and beyond, 14" K Custom Dark.

Last edited:

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paiste Signature Traditionals Medium Light Hats for me.

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
... I would be interested to hear why there are a number who have weighed in on this question who have mentioned 15" hats. Surprising, but interesting. I would like to hear why, especially for jazz.
My old A's are pretty thin and definitely not "loud". Low-pitched, splashy, and sit nicely in the music. I have 14" hats, too and while they are perfectly fine, they are higher-pitched and a bit "quick". I like the lower, slower feeling of the 15's.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've tried about 2-3 dozen pair of Zildjian and Paiste hi hats the past 2 years. And that includes a lot trans stamps and small stamp pairs. A year ago I'd had have trans stamp 15's on this list. Moved away from those
for the quicker and more cutting action of the 14's.

These are my current favorite 4 in order.

Old K int. stamps 757/925
Zildjian 15" first stamp over trans stamp paper thins with 3 rivets on each (732/762 gm).
Zildjian 14" new beats early 70's (828/1163).
Zildjian 14" trans stamp trio - matched weight or new beat ratio (713/768/1225).

Parad1ddle

Reaction score
Hey all!

Wondering what everyone's preferences are for hats, specifically for playing in the jazz idiom. I'm playing on some 60's A's currently, but thinking about grabbing another pair. Perhaps some 14" Paiste Masters Dark hats, or 14" K Cons. What does everyone else play? 14 vs 15? Etc, etc...
I play 13" dark K. Zildjians. I have found over the years that 13's being lighter than 14's are faster and less effort required. Most of my playing has been Jazz and Cabaret plus some big band work. I have regularly played Hard Bop (Cannonball Adderley, Miles Davis, ShelleyManne etc). Jazz fusion stuff , weather report, Tower of Power. I play Gretch Catalina with a 16"x16 bass drum 8" 10" 12 " floor and alternate between a 13" wooden Gretch snare and a Ludwig 400. My cymbals are 18" Istanbul K. Crash 15" dark K crash a 22" Avedis ride and a Kraslice 22 dark ride. Tha Kraslice is a very interesting cymbal leaning towards original Istanbul K,s in tone with a dark wash.

michaeldangelo

Reaction score
I have:

14" Istanbul Agop Traditional Jazz
14" Meinl Jazz Thin
14" 60s A's
15" Old K (Intermediate Stamp top, New Stamp bottom)

Check out this video, it's a great resource for tons of brands/models out there:

marc3k

Reaction score
Why not just some K or K Custom Dark Hats in 14"? Wouldn't they be just as dark as anything 15"?
I have a pair of 14" K Mastersound and they are incredible loud and high-pitched. Now I mainly use 15" Agop 30th Anniversary Hi-hats which are lighter and darker - to me more suitable if playing with brushes or using darker & drier rides...

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Currently playing these 15" Funch 3rd anniversary hihats, 1064/1157 gr. Loving how these react fast to lighter/jazzier playing and sound full even on soft dynamics.

Brother, if we were in the same country I would be breaking into your house! Those are A-MAZ-ING!