Jazz Standards - song suggestions

69OysterBlue

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
One good thing that has happened as we start to emerge from the cosmic funk of COVID is that an old friend/former bandmate who plays keys and horn got back in touch and wants to re-form a jazz group. We had a trio a few years ago and it was great to play something different than the R&R repertoire from my primary band. IMHO - playing classic jazz drums requires a lot more technique, touch, independence, dynamic control and real time communication within the band. In short, it can be more challenging and I consider it to be a lot of fun.

We have several tunes from the old play list but now that we are integrating a new bass player and a guitar/sax player - there's an opportunity branch out and do some new material. We're trying to remain "marketable" in terms of playing small clubs & dinner venues - so anything in the Jazz - Lounge music - Latin - light blues realm is probably where we want to stay.

I'm looking for song suggestions. Any and all ideas are welcome.

Here are the basics (and particular versions) we've used to conduct the first few auditions;

Joy Spring (Freddie Hubbard)
Just Friends (Coltrane)
Jitterbug Waltz (Oscar Peterson)
Ladybird (Philly Joe Jones)
Satin Doll (Duke Ellington)
Girl From Impanema (Stan Getz)
Take 5 (Brubeck)

Thanks!

komodobob

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are some really nice Latin tunes

Besame Mucho
Black Orpheus
Blue Bossa
Desanifado
Green Dolphin Street (Latin / swing, then Latin swing)
My Romance (we do a Latin version of this)
One note Samba
Song for my Father (one of my favorites)

Some others

Moanin
Killer Joe
L.O.V.E.
Perdido
So what
Straight note chaser
Stella by Starlight (Miles Davis and John Coltrane)
Take the A Train
Thou Swell
Too close for comfort (Jamie Cullen does a killer version of this)
Beyond the sea (Bobby Darin)
Jada

Cullen's Too close for comfort may be a little tricky, since he does have a full orchestra behind him, but if you can get the road map down, who knows? We are doing it with a quintet and it's working.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oleo
Red Clay
Song for My Father
Footprints

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One good thing that has happened as we start to emerge from the cosmic funk of COVID is that an old friend/former bandmate who plays keys and horn got back in touch and wants to re-form a jazz group. We had a trio a few years ago and it was great to play something different than the R&R repertoire from my primary band. IMHO - playing classic jazz drums requires a lot more technique, touch, independence, dynamic control and real time communication within the band. In short, it can be more challenging and I consider it to be a lot of fun.

We have several tunes from the old play list but now that we are integrating a new bass player and a guitar/sax player - there's an opportunity branch out and do some new material. We're trying to remain "marketable" in terms of playing small clubs & dinner venues - so anything in the Jazz - Lounge music - Latin - light blues realm is probably where we want to stay.

I'm looking for song suggestions. Any and all ideas are welcome.

Here are the basics (and particular versions) we've used to conduct the first few auditions;

Joy Spring (Freddie Hubbard)
Just Friends (Coltrane)
Jitterbug Waltz (Oscar Peterson)
Ladybird (Philly Joe Jones)
Satin Doll (Duke Ellington)
Girl From Impanema (Stan Getz)
Take 5 (Brubeck)

Thanks!
Get one of these:

1623519584105.png

Last edited:

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mentioned you have a keyboard player, but I'm not sure if it's piano (likely) or organ. If it's organ, check out Joey DeFrancesco. He does some serious Hammond B3 playing to many of the old standards. He can really swing IMO and it's fun to drum to his stuff.

Mayan

Reaction score
Someone already mentioned it, but I always love it when I hear Take the A Train. Also, Fly Me to the Moon / In Other Words makes me tap my foot every time.