Jazz Super-Group

JohnnyVibesAZ

Reaction score
We all know about rock or pop super-groups that come together after members have left other famous bands. I found this photo of a JAZZ super-group from the 60s. I remember seeing it in a Ludwig Drum magazine. You can't go wrong with a band consisting of Stan Getz, Gary Burton, Roy Haynes, and Steve Swallow. Can any of you show us some more pics of jazz super-groups?

stan getz quartet.jpg

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
We all know about rock or pop super-groups that come together after members have left other famous bands. I found this photo of a JAZZ super-group from the 60s. I remember seeing it in a Ludwig Drum magazine. You can't go wrong with a band consisting of Stan Getz, Gary Burton, Roy Haynes, and Steve Swallow. Can any of you show us some more pics of jazz super-groups?

View attachment 501009
Great pic. Swooning over the Ludwig kit.

JohnnyVibesAZ

Reaction score
Great pic. Swooning over the Ludwig kit.
I thought it was VERY cool that Haynes had a mahogany lacquer finish drum set, when just about everyone else had wrapped-shell kits in those days. I now remember cutting that picture out of the magazine and framing it!

rstange1

Reaction score
Here's the modern day super-group "One for All" that's been playing together for decades. Eric Alexander (ts), Jim Rotondi (tp), Steve Davis (tb), David Hazeltine (p), John Webber (b) and Joe Farnsworth (d)
One for All.png

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's the modern day super-group "One for All" that's been playing together for decades. Eric Alexander (ts), Jim Rotondi (tp), Steve Davis (tb), David Hazeltine (p), John Webber (b) and Joe Farnsworth (d)
View attachment 501032
Indeed
I’m seeing and hearing Joe Farnsworth w Emmet Cohen trio tonite
He’s played at my local club a lot lately. Always a joy to hear him
Going to ask for his autograph on a drum head next to Mike Clarke, Duduka De Fonseca, and Billy Hart
He’ll be in good company. Hope he is willing. Seems like a nice guy.
Hope you are still digging those Yaiba’s

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
Honestly, there are so many jazz groups where every member is a kind of star in their own right (who has a solo albums, a following, the whole deal) that the idea of a "super group" is really almost too common for that term to be important. I'd say that probably the majority of jazz albums that I own (and I own quite a few) could be considered to be super groups.