JCR Cowbells: What else, now?

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That bell on eBay is definitely chromed, not simply polished raw steel. As I said, I've never seen any authentic JCR bells that weren't raw steel ..... most a little rusty and funky. I've teched for a lot of old New York players who have impressive collections of JCR stuff. Also the mount is quite different from any other JCR half moon I've seen.

How hard would it be to copy (counterfeit?) an authentic JCR bell? There really isn't a whole lot going on there ...... except the irreplaceable, essential mojo ....... and the sound, of course. I'd hate to think that someone was trying to cash in by stamping initials and making paper labels.

M.
Ive seen that mount on other jcr bells also. Im not sure if that is older or newer. Two of mine have the mount that is pictured above and one has to use a clamp.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the various bells I have. Honestly the old time bells sound great also! I don’t know who manufactured them but I got them at various times with other equipment or when I came across them. The ago gos are Pete Engelhardt. They sound great also.
DE0B6617-90AE-4DC6-BADF-9F06CB340B77.jpeg
1985659F-F187-479C-A8E4-23650B5A9B9C.jpeg
4000E4D2-1D2B-4AEA-9526-4D27AA1E3E84.jpeg
77D6A0C2-F01E-4D3A-8B3F-7B22E894A559.jpeg

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the various bells I have. Honestly the old time bells sound great also! I don’t know who manufactured them but I got them at various times with other equipment or when I came across them. The ago gos are Pete Engelhardt. They sound great also. View attachment 406265View attachment 406266View attachment 406267View attachment 406268

Wow! Nice collection, that ....

Pete Engelhardt made some beautiful stuff a few years back, some of it pretty bizarre ...... I was aware of Pete's stuff long before I picked up on JCR ......

Thanks to all for the education on the variety of details on Cali's bells .... that seller on eBay was dead on when he said that I "knew very little about JCR". I only wish the starting price on his auction were lower so a person could actually suss out what the market price for a vintage half-moon might be. That's pretty steep for a cowbell - my LPs will have to do for now.

Mike

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Since the JCR gang is here I was wondering if anyone has a repair method suggestion for my thrift store score bell. I figure I can slip it over an anvil/piece of lumber and hammer it. Or I could attempt to bend it with cloth wrapped pliers. I just don’t want to mess up the glorious tone of this beast.

Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!

7F83A10E-487F-4047-8915-A70FF57C8933.jpegB5C0B14F-9086-4B9D-904D-A9624ED287E7.jpeg3F4E2A2C-3F36-4035-9179-2BC0EFD020D6.jpegBD2B628D-DD4C-4234-948F-8B7D3896C20E.jpeg

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think this would depend on exactly what the tempering/heat treatment process was; in Cali's case, it was probably his own "recipe", and since his shop was small and "hands-on", possibly quite individual from bell to bell. The danger would be cracking the bell if the steel has become less malleable or even brittle. For sure I'd stay away from the pliers.

Looks like someone really wailed on this bell .... with a hardwood clave, or ..... a baseball bat?

If the bell still sounds good, why not just ..... play it?

Mike

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think this would depend on exactly what the tempering/heat treatment process was; in Cali's case, it was probably his own "recipe", and since his shop was small and "hands-on", possibly quite individual from bell to bell. The danger would be cracking the bell if the steel has become less malleable or even brittle. For sure I'd stay away from the pliers.

Looks like someone really wailed on this bell .... with a hardwood clave, or ..... a baseball bat?

If the bell still sounds good, why not just ..... play it?

Mike
Sound advice sir! Thanks. It looks to be about a rosewood clave size dent now that I think of it! Gonna just play and enjoy along with my JCR cha cha. :)

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would think his shop was not that sophisticated that they would be tempering bells.
I would try the pliers/cloth method.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would probably leave it but if you want to straighten it out, take it to a machine shop or welder. They'll know how to do it safely.

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Don't know if this helps, but on this video you can see the bells being bend to shape from flat steel.

Pretty simple, must be the steel he used!
I paid around $35 for mine, used, and when I talked to him about buying direct from him he wasn’t selling them for much more.
I can understand the high prices, they are exceptional bells.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pretty simple, must be the steel he used!
I paid around $35 for mine, used, and when I talked to him about buying direct from him he wasn’t selling them for much more.
I can understand the high prices, they are exceptional bells.
Yeah, loving mine. Bought them (Mambo and Cha cha-bells) from New York about 10 years ago for about 50$ a piece. It was an old and famous drum shop close to the times square, can't remember it's name now. Drummers world? Don't know.
Anyway, it was a great honey moon location, tons of jazz, and couple of cowbells to take home. B)

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Resurrecting the thread here ........

Anyone got a clue as to what the seller is up to here? This auction has already gone over once with no bids, then relisted ..... and now, pulled due to an "error in the listing".

See my posts on this thread #16 and 19; I tried contacting the seller with a suggestion that he start the bidding a bit lower (with a reserve of ..... whatever!) just to see what the actual market price of a chromed JCR half-moon bell might be, but have received no response. Any thoughts on the value of a JCR half-moon?

Mike

Last edited:

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
No way to know unless the buyer or seller tells us. If I was to guess, I’d think someone offered him an acceptable lower offer off ebay, so the seller isn’t paying fees.

Latest posts