"JDA bought his first Old K in..."

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Old K I bought was in 2002 off Ebay. I printed out, still have and am looking at the auction pages right now. Only this minute did I see in the details text did I see the year. I could never recall it was 2002. That's how long I been playing them.

And it was a Dud. I tried it on 3 or 4 gigs and it was Only Vanilla. It's didn't have the Mystery, Smoke, Fire and Lightning (the second 22 also a new stamp and a little heavier 2877 vs 2864 and I still have) did.

So I traded it even for a (I still have) 20" Intermediate at the Pa Vintage drum Show. Traded Even with King Louie's Music who had a display there. I tapped the 20" three times heard and felt the smoke and Fire and went right over to him explained my deal and Louie said of my 22" "somebody will like it"..and we swapped.

OLdK1stEbay 001.JPG
OLdK1stEbay 002.JPG
OLdK1stEbay 003.JPG
OLdK1stEbay 004.JPG
OLdK1stEbay 005.JPG
OLdK1stEbay 006.JPG

OLdK1stEbay 001.JPG OLdK1stEbay 002.JPG OLdK1stEbay 003.JPG OLdK1stEbay 004.JPG OLdK1stEbay 005.JPG OLdK1stEbay 006.JPG

August of 2002 to August of 2021 that's 19 years I been playing them : )

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's another I bought few months later. I still have it. type IVa Old K 18" at 1521g.

Seller was Cakes2112 kinda remembered that name.. Year was February 2003. Must have been on a mission. I was. The edge knick I drilled then hand filed and hasn't moved and makes no noise.
Can drive and move hold together (and I have Gene Ludwig organ Trio most memorably) with this 1 cymbal. It's solid with defined type IV stick. anyway here's the printout from ebay almost, 19 years ago.

OLdK1stEbay 007.JPG
OLdK1stEbay 008.JPG
OLdK1stEbay 009.JPG
OLdK1stEbay 010.JPG
OLdK1stEbay 011.JPG
OLdK1stEbay 012.JPG
OLdK1stEbay 014.JPG
OLdK1stEbay 015.JPG

last pic is that repair I did almost 19 yrs. ago.

thanks man!

OLdK1stEbay 007.JPG OLdK1stEbay 008.JPG OLdK1stEbay 009.JPG OLdK1stEbay 010.JPG OLdK1stEbay 011.JPG OLdK1stEbay 012.JPG OLdK1stEbay 014.JPG OLdK1stEbay 015.JPG

how much did I ...?! how many bids 3? ... and I still won it!
damn I was ..
; hot hot hot

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
wait wait wait

"$500 in 2002 is

and..

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ah - those were the days. Cool that you kept the transaction histories.

I got my first in around 1990 (thin 22" NS, $150 right off the rack at Faust Music in Milwaukee). That definitely realigned my synapses regarding what is possible in a cymbal. I used it as a big crash with my rock band for a long time, then used it as a ride/crash with jazz groups for decades. Still set up on my set as we speak (far right.).

Birdseye-2021-session.jpg

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
And you talk about me spending money...:rolleyes:
;)
What I find the most amazing is how you've kept a copy of the auction. I've never done that!

egw

Reaction score
Joe, I thought you were hoarding K's long before that. Very surprised to hear you got into it so recently.

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
figure 1998 (I get a computer)
figure Chad opens Cymbalholic 2001
(an offshoot semi- of Harry's)
(Cymbalism officially hits the internet)
I land a 22" K in 2002

prior to the internet there was no way
in my area I had never saw one barely knew what they were

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
mind you prior to that
I had (besides As and 2oo2s) Istanbul presplits, Sound Creations, some K Cons..

the confluence when I went back and forth with those cymbals the entrance of Cymbalholic and ebay led to only one destination
that lasted 18 years they were number 1 (for me)
till I caved to Bosphorus

but you know what's up there now down in the Old K Garage and Lounge on the BKs?
right this minute? Yep. 6 old Ks : )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A's- gigs with the possibility of sit-in drummers (Joeys Open Stage where you just bring cymbals the drums are provided)
Bosphorus- formal city gigs (the rare Kenny Blake engagement)
Old Ks- when I'm free me me me

is how I break it down

Last edited:

marc3k

Reaction score
Old Ks- when I'm free me me me
So you would not play your nicest cymbals on a gig? Wouldn't that be the coolest way to use them - together with some other musicians and some people that may appreciate them?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you would not play your nicest cymbals on a gig?
they're all my nicest
presentation my friend. the Bosphorus aren't ever potentially offensive and easier to control. (because they're matched)
Old Ks wander in the fire and brimstone mode...So you play (those) when and where you can get away with.

remember: old Ks weren't 'tailored' to modern ways and usage, they're near Gothic at times. Viking-apocalyptic Biblical like. DEEP.
in truth... few instances come up that deserve them (recording does absolutely) ...short of that and what I mentioned ; careful usage; "keep away from children" etc

you see with a modern cymbal you can say "I want it this way I want it that way and I want it to weigh exactly this.."

That doesn't happen with a now long deceased company. They didn't even really cater to drum set when they were active.. You find what you can find. And there's always some.. "if this was 300g lighter I wonder what it'd sound like" or... "if I could just find one other hihat top a little.." or.... "I wonder what if they had made a 19" ....or "a flat".... "a swish"....

Modern cymbals are ensemble matched complete sets (even if you compose it yourself individually from a makers catalog)
Old K their idea of a set was a hand Pair.

So composing a full drum set Set always leaves ya wondering
"does this one go with that one does that one go with this one?" hmm..
But you get em onstage and nothing like em they always anywhere come thru.
there's just that little apprehension beforehand..
"am I going to scare somebody?.." (lol (am I going to put somebody (the wrong guy) off?) (or just make him happy.)

but truly matching them.. a right with a left..
is a puzzle sometimes. They didn't conform to a standard (thats Avedis) drum set practice because that wasn't ever what they followed; nor what they were hardly aware of. (that was gretsch promoting) (even if you look at the Gretsch catalog advertising it was just dimensions and and oh two weights)

in addition,

Some eras you just can't mix Together..in hi hat or in right-left
other times you find good combinations; if you follow Era and have a Right-Left from same era; there' you're starting to get modern "conceptualization".
(other times you learn) You just don't put a IV with an Intermediate... right-left or in a hi hat bottom-top... without some serious consideration and some mind machinations

add to that near 50 years since a new one was sold and you see the puzzle.

this makes moderns a whole nother in many ways simpler world.
but as individual cymbals I've never heard anything with as consistent a depth.
none.

American K from 77 to today do capture a good chunk of the sound (Zildjian after all) (there's something there) (and they actually listen to the old cymbals) but they falter by overt generic precision and haven't the hand work
Turkish Moderns capture another aspect of the Old K- that ability to speak lo and be warm and dynamic- but don't have the deep harmony nor the bell

so rock meet hard place
and just get home safely

ps I might have some answers if you ever think of composing a set. mixing eras (insignia is sound/build) . Or adding 1. or 2.

So you would not play your nicest cymbals on a gig?
ps. I did for 19 years
now I'm able to use some
strategery

Last edited:

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Joe you may like this cymbal and website.

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had that cymbal. First came out. Hazel once I asked him a question over ebay he took the wrong way (figure that) and banned me for life (and this was long ago) imagine that; he mostly (to me) has off the shelf cymbals but I don't keep in touch with his site. The 22 K Con Light I had I couldn't hear when I got it outside once, and it went bybye.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had that cymbal. First came out. Hazel once I asked him a question over ebay he took the wrong way (figure that) and banned me for life (and this was long ago) imagine that; he mostly (to me) has off the shelf cymbals but I don't keep in touch with his site. The 22 K Con Light I had I couldn't hear when I got it outside once, and it went bybye.
I thought banning for life was only something executed by the steward of Gondor. Little did I know!! Lol