"JDA bought his first Old K in..."

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh yea I been down to Gondor he's doing bodywork out of the back of his house these days
he has off-the-shelf cymbals and he hype's them up

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
some days/nights I take all of one set down and put whole of another set up.

What is up there is a 22" Hammer, a 20" Thin Ride traditional, an Antique 19" Thin Ride and 14" Dark Traditional hats extras are a 20" Traditional China (incredible 1630g) an Antique Thin 16" Crash and a couple others.
Very Breezy and easy Bosphorus cymbals are. They have an old K quality to them. new AK's (your favorite ADG?) are expensive (even used) that it's much easier to put a near new Bosphorus set together with the handmade bonus thrown in for near free.

Last edited:

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm glad you brought up Bosphorus. The old K's I've heard were about a third duds; now maybe that was because the duds keep circulating. One of the most amazing things to me about the nine Bosphorus cymbals I have is that, despite five of them coming from Amazon Warehouse, every single one sounds great, among the best of the hundreds of cymbals I've owned over half a century.

I searched the net trying to find an expert opinion on which Bos series is the most like the old K's. Couldn't find anything so I went with a 19" 1545 gram Master ride which is enroute. Please enlighten me; which series IS the most like the old Turkish K's?

I like that my tenth Bos is early but the whole bloody point of Bosphorus is that a Master of the same size and weight produced today ahould have the same qualities as those produced two and a half decades ago.

i7kqnijakzz36bgikflg.jpg

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please enlighten me; which series IS the most like the old Turkish K's?
Here's your enlightenment.
Bosphorus don't sound exactly like Zildjians.
The similarity they have with Old K Zildjians is in the volume/ response and handmade not machine pressed feel.

That's explainable (but not explainable) you have to know How great old Ks are. And how they Drive. (to use a car term) And How they respond.
That driving (driving around the block) part of the cymbal, being a handmade Turkish cymbal (like old Ks) is WHAT modern Turkish cymbals capture.

Here's the tricky part. To answer your question another way "what series Of Bosphorus SOUND like old Ks"
Your answer there is American "Avedis Ks" AK's can SOUND closer to old Ks (sometimes exact). Moreso than the modern Turkish cymbal. So..

Sound + Feel- are two different things.
MODERN Turkish Makers capture the FEEL of playing (driving) old Ks. By feel I mean: Using the same force they "open up" like old Ks.
AMERICAN Zildjian with their ears but using machines (which can sometimes feel stiff cold and harsh) can sometimes capture the SOUND of old Ks. (but not the solid pliable driving experience feel)

Last edited:

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wonderful and somewhat enlightening answer without actually answering the question.

Which series? Not Gold, not XT, not Latin, not EBD, not Groove... are the rest equal in your ears?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonderful and somewhat enlightening answer without actually answering the question.

Which series? Not Gold, not XT, not Latin, not EBD, not Groove... are the rest equal in your ears?
I'll say it twice NO Bosphorus Sound Like Old Ks.

Traditionals feel close... then Antiques... then maybe add Syncopation... and Master and Master Vintage while you're at it.
On a whole, all the top Standard - Traditional and Masters- all the jazz lines- but it's feel not sound

Those you mention oddly are the Furthest away.

Last edited:

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had Masters in front of Antiques but that was about my guess. Of the ones I have Antiques seem closest but I have no Traditionals and haven't received my first Master.

Some lines were easy to eliminate.

It is odd that with such focus on replicating the production method of old K's that Bosphorus fails to capture the sound. They sound wonderful in their own right so perhaps the comparison is nothing but idle curiosity.

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a fact of Life with all the post-old K Turkish companies- they never captured the Zildjian cup and bridge and even if they did (at this point nearly 40 years on) there'd be something else not present.
that's why I said usa zildjian also captures aspects of old Ks

Esotericdrums

Reaction score

Attachments