header.nohb.html

Jean-Paul Gaster on his Five Favorite Drummers

Rock and/or roll

Reaction score
Vistalite Black said:
I have a ton of respect for Jean-Paul Gaster of Clutch, one of the best heavy rock players out there, IMHO.
+1 million. Listening to his playing evolve over the years has been awesome. Just kills on X-Ray Visions off of the new one. Couldn't think more highly of him or his band. Was just blasting The Soapmakers the other day as a matter of fact!

Tilter

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Agreed! Jean-Paul is a fantastic player and listening to his evolution over the last 20 odd years has been great fun.

I first saw Clutch in 1994 when we played an after show party at a little hole in the wall called Blind Willy's in Nashua, NH. They were hauling a tiny trailer behind a Winnie and JP was playing his silver sparkle GMS kit and some heavy-ass Sabians. They played a phenominal set...raw, powerful and like nothing I had ever seen. At that point, they hadn't released Transnational yet and all we knew of them was the Passive Restraints EP cassette that I'd picked up a couple weeks earlier. I still have JP's set list and 4 of his Vic Firth Classic Rock sticks from that show. Wish I'd had a camera with me that night.

Sorry, but I've gotta' load this post up with some Clutch goodness. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tilter

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Rock and/or roll said:
Hell yes, Tilter! The world can always use more JPG & Clutch. Nice choice with Sea Of Destruction. That riff smokes!
Right on, right on. Sea of Destruction knocked me out when I first heard it...that riff is absolutely killer and I must have played that tune 20 times, the day I bought Slow Hole to China.

One of the guys from Robot Lords of Tokyo (taken from a Clutch lyric and a great band in their own right) in admiration, said that no guitar player has the right to have as many killer riffs as Tim Sult does. And ain't that the truth? The man is a bottomless grab bag of monster hooks and licks.

Rock and/or roll

Reaction score
Tilter said:
Hell yes, Tilter! The world can always use more JPG & Clutch. Nice choice with Sea Of Destruction. That riff smokes!
Right on, right on. Sea of Destruction knocked me out when I first heard it...that riff is absolutely killer and I must have played that tune 20 times, the day I bought Slow Hole to China.

One of the guys from Robot Lords of Tokyo (taken from a Clutch lyric and a great band in their own right) in admiration, said that no guitar player has the right to have as many killer riffs as Tim Sult does. And ain't that the truth? The man is a bottomless grab bag of monster hooks and licks.
I did the same! That, Nickel Dime, & Easy Breeze! Wore that out. 2 favorite Sult riffs might be the verse in Pure Rock Fury, or all of Spacegrass. Just epic songs. Do you know which type of shells JPG used on Psychic Warfare?

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
If I remember right, the drummers JPG named were:
5. Bill Ward
4. John Bonham
3. Questlove
2. Brand Dailor
1. Ginger Baker

Pretty close to my own list.

Tilter

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Rock and/or roll said:

I did the same! That, Nickel Dime, & Easy Breeze! Wore that out. 2 favorite Sult riffs might be the verse in Pure Rock Fury, or all of Spacegrass. Just epic songs. Do you know which type of shells JPG used on Psychic Warfare?

Looks like Gretsch for at least some of it, if not all. And damn, what an amazing studio!

flam254

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One of my fav bands for sure... Only got into them 5 years ago or so.... wondered how I missed them.... anyhow.... JP is a killer drummer. Always deliver live.....

biggator

DFO Star
Reaction score
Gaster (to me) is carrying the torch for Bonham's style without ripping it off. He has that swampy, heavy groove - bluesy but not wimpy. It's hard to describe - but you can just feel it.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I like that JPG doesn't play anything you expect, but it's always right.

While we're on the topic, what hard-rock bands are in the same league with Clutch right now...

I saw The Sword (third time--a year ago they opened for Clutch) and Royal Thunder at Thanksgiving. Both are really good.

Anyone?

Rock and/or roll

Reaction score
Vistalite Black said:

While we're on the topic, what hard-rock bands are in the same league with Clutch right now...

I saw The Sword (third time--a year ago they opened for Clutch) and Royal Thunder at Thanksgiving. Both are really good.

Anyone?
Although they certainly don't sound much alike(save for distortion), a band that immediately comes to mind is Neurosis. They've carved out a name for themselves in many of the same manners as Clutch have. An almost all DIY outfit(including all album releases), a RIDICULOUS work ethic, great to their fans, exposed/helped out countless other bands(Clutch through touring, Neurosis mostly through their record label, & both through lending their talents as guest musicians on other band's recordings). Neurosis shows have become more like events now, whereas Clutch grinds-year in year out). 2 wonderful examples of hard work, tenacity, & being true to what you do musically. Couldn't say enough good things about BOTH bands. At the risk of sounding corny, they really are true American rock treasures. The drummer for Neurosis also plays with Sleep!!!!! Yeah, he doesn't suck.

biggator

DFO Star
Reaction score
Vistalite Black said:

Anyone?
Different styles - but a few off the top of my head..
Mastodon, Chevelle, Nothing More, Silversun Pickups, 12-foot Ninja

Rock and/or roll

Reaction score
Tilter said:

Looks like Gretsch for at least some of it, if not all. And damn, what an amazing studio!

Thanks for putting that up, man!

Tilter

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sure thing, Rock.

Vistalite, check these out:

&app=desktop

&app=desktop

&app=desktop

Peter56

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just came across this, awesome stuff. JP looks 10 years younger without the beard!

Gajeman

Reaction score
Agreed! Jean-Paul is a fantastic player and listening to his evolution over the last 20 odd years has been great fun.

I first saw Clutch in 1994 when we played an after show party at a little hole in the wall called Blind Willy's in Nashua, NH. They were hauling a tiny trailer behind a Winnie and JP was playing his silver sparkle GMS kit and some heavy-ass Sabians. They played a phenominal set...raw, powerful and like nothing I had ever seen. At that point, they hadn't released Transnational yet and all we knew of them was the Passive Restraints EP cassette that I'd picked up a couple weeks earlier. I still have JP's set list and 4 of his Vic Firth Classic Rock sticks from that show. Wish I'd had a camera with me that night.

Sorry, but I've gotta' load this post up with some Clutch goodness. :thumbup:

Wow, man. I was at that Blind Willie's show, too. On Canal St. down by Dunkin's near Main St. That place was crazy. Under-age drinking and whatever the deal was with buying a "voucher" to redeem for a drink. (I think they'd had their liquor license revoked or something.) Those numbered, orange raffle tickets.